As an expectant mom, you will have a different health requirement. That’s because you will be sharing everything that you consume with your baby. Around 5 to 10 days after you conceived, the embryo implants itself into your uterine wall. From that time on, that little life in your belly will be depend on you for sustenance.
However, your condition may cause you to have an aversion to certain foods. You may also have long nights caused by body pains as the baby grows inside your tummy. Your pregnancy may also bring other related conditions that may cause you to lack specific nutrients. That is basically the reason why your primary care provider will recommend that you take prenatal vitamins.
- Prenatal Vitamins
- Benefits of Taking Prenatal Vitamins
- Organic Prenatal Vitamins Vs. Non-Organic Prenatal Vitamins
- Your Baby and Prenatal Vitamins
- The Best Prenatal Vitamins
- Garden of Life Vegetarian Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement with Folate
- Garden of Life Organic Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement with Folate – Mykind Whole Food Prenatal Vitamin
- Prenatal DHA with Vitamin D3
- Zahler Prenatal DHA
- Zenwise Prenatal Multivitamin
- New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitamins Fermented with Probiotics + Wholefoods + Folate + Iron + Vitamin D3 + B Vitamins + Organic Non-GMO Ingredients – 96 ct
- Mama Bird Prenatal Multivitamin
- Pure Synergy PureNatal Prenatal Vitamin Made w/ Organic Fruits & Veggies
- Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin with 25+ Organic Vitamins, 100% Natural, DHA, EPA, Omega 3, and Organic Herbal Blend
- SmartyPants Prenatal Complete Gummy Vitamins
Taking prenatal vitamins can fill in any nutritional gaps in your diet. Though your doctor may provide you with specific options to take, you may still be forced to find the best alternatives. With so many options available for you, however, you might have a difficult time deciding which will be the most beneficial for you and your baby. That is why we took the time to provide a list of some of the best prenatal vitamins you may consider.
Benefits of Taking Prenatal Vitamins
Regularly taking prenatal supplements when you are trying to conceive or are already pregnant will help make pregnancy easier. It will also make you and your baby healthier.
Other than keeping yourself and your baby healthy, taking pregnancy vitamins can also reduce the risks of birth defects. Most prenatal supplements contain essential elements like folic acid that can reduce the possibility of neural tube defects in a developing fetus.
These supplements are not recommended to be taken once you have already conceived, however. Any woman who would like or is planning to get pregnant should take prenatal supplements to increase the chances of conceiving, as taking prenatal supplements has been proven to help increase fertility, other than helping to keep the baby healthy.
Prenatal health supplements can also contribute to an easier and more appealing pregnancy. It has drastic effects during the oftentimes challenging first trimester.
Organic Prenatal Vitamins Vs. Non-Organic Prenatal Vitamins
Prenatal supplements were first used in the middle of the 20th century. It was then that many studies indicated that folate and iron deficiencies had been causing problems in pregnancy and fetal development.
Prescription prenatal vitamins are usually provided for pregnant women as well as those who are planning to get pregnant. However, many women complain of feeling sick to their stomach, or having a heartburn, indigestion, or constipation when taking prescription prenatal vitamins. One of the reasons for such side effects may be due to the fact that prescription prenatal supplements often contain higher levels of iron and folic acid which are said to trigger these conditions. This encouraged the formulation of alternative pregnancy supplements.
Organic Prenatal vitamins are high-quality products made from natural food sources that are free from harmful chemical fertilizers, additives, as well as other unnecessary ingredients. They are formulated with a better understanding of what the mother and child need during pregnancy. In each formulation of organic prenatal vitamins, any unnecessary vitamin or nutrient that may be present in synthetic prenatalsupplements are eliminated making them a safer choice for pregnant women.
Your Baby and Prenatal Vitamins
Carrying a baby inside the tummy is a lot of work. The developing baby will consume whatever it needs. For you to remain healthy while nourishing your baby inside your belly, you to get enough vitamins and minerals for both of you. The following are the most common essential vitamins and minerals found in prenatal vitamins and the basic benefits that each of these essential elements can do to the body.
- Vitamin A. Not only does vitamin A helps keep the skin clear and healthy, it also helps in the development of the brain, eye, teeth, bones, and the respiratory system. Vitamin A is an antioxidant and a vital role in helping the body maintain homeostasis. It is also a key nutrient that prevents anemia.
- Vitamin B1. This vitamin is also known as Thiamine. This essential nutrient helps convert carbohydrates to energy. Adequate consumption of this key vitamin supports the development of the nervous system and the baby’s brain.
- Vitamin B2. Also called Riboflavin, Vitamin B2 works as an antioxidant in the body. It helps maintain healthy blood cells. As a result, it helps boost energy levels, facilitates a healthy metabolism, prevents free radical damage, and contributes to growth. It also supports healthy skin and eyes.
- Vitamin B3. Niacin or Vitamin B3. Studies, including one published in the New England Journal of Medicine, show that adequate intake of this key vitamin could prevent birth defects and miscarriages. It is also known to improve digestion and eases nausea.
- Vitamin B5. Also known as Pantothenic acid, Vitamin B5, is critical for the production of hormones and cholesterol. It is also vital for the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in the body.
- Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 is also known as Pyridoxine. It is critical to the development of your baby’s brain and nervous system. Vitamin B6 also helps your baby to metabolize protein and carbohydrates. It is also know to help relieve nausea and morning sickness.
- Vitamin B7. Vitamin B7 or Biotin is also known as the “beauty nutrient.” This key vitamin works with other B vitamins to help release energy from food. It also helps in DNA replication. It can also relieve pregnancy-related conditions like fatigue, nausea, and skin problems.
- Vitamin B9 (Folate/Folic Acid). Folic acid helps prevent conditions like neural tube defects (NTDs), serious birth defects of the spinal cord like spina bifida, and the brain like as anencephaly.
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin). Vitamin B12 is essential for maintaining a healthy nervous system. It is said that when Vitamin B12 is combined with folic acid during pregnancy, it can help prevent birth defects like spina bifida and other spinal and central nervous system in the baby as well.
- Vitamin C. This key vitamin helps the body absorb iron and protects against stress.
- Vitamin D. Adequate intake of vitamin D is known to help strengthen both your and your baby’s bones and teeth. It also assists your body to utilize Calcium and Phosphorus. Studies indicate that a low level of this important vitamin may increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Vitamin E. Vitamin E is known to protect the cells in the body. It helps to maintain overall wellness and metabolism and may help reduce miscarriages as well.
- Vitamin K. This key vitamin is known to support a healthy bone formation, blood clotting, as well as in the body’s ability to heal itself.
- Adequate calcium level in the body supports proper bone development.
- Copper helps store iron. It also supports good blood health.
- Iron helps the blood to carry oxygen.
- This nutritional element is known to support a healthy thyroid, metabolism, fetal development, as well as hearing.
- Adequate magnesium level in the body during pregnancy will support a healthy blood pressure and a healthy fetal birth weight.
- Zinc helps balance fluids in your body. It also supports nerve as well as muscle function.
Take note, however, that anything taken beyond the recommended daily requirement will not be good for you and your baby’s health. In this case, you will need to consult with your health provider with for the right amount of vitamin supplements that you may need to fill in any nutrition gaps in your diet.
The Best Prenatal Vitamins
These are some of the best prenatal vitamins that you may consider to have a healthy pregnancy.
Garden of Life Vegetarian Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement with Folate
This prenatal vitamin is made to be non-GMO. It is a whole-food multi-nutrient formula that meets all the daily nutritional requirements of a pregnant woman. It does not contain synthetic binders, fillers, artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, or additives. Instead, it contains iron, vitamins C, E, and B Complex, as well as folate. It gets its vitamins and mineral content from 23 fruits and vegetables from which it is made. An expectant mother will receive all the benefits that the Garden of Life Vegetarian Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement with Folate provides by taking this capsule three times a day with or without food.
Garden of Life Organic Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement with Folate – Mykind Whole Food Prenatal Vitamin
Mykind Organics Prenatal Multivitamins is made from real whole food like powdered organic fruits, vegetables and herbs like lemons, ginger, peppermint, annatto, amla berry, and holy basil. Just three tablets of this whole food supplement can provide the nourishment from 21 essential vitamins and minerals needed for the proper development of the fetus. It is also tummy friendly, so you won’t get nauseated if ever you take this supplement.
Prenatal DHA with Vitamin D3
Each box of this pregnancy vitamin contains 60 soft gels. Each gel is easy to swallow and is super purified from maternal balance. It is made from a high-quality fish oil gel formulated to contain the right amount of DHA that pregnant and nursing women need. Daily intake of this supplement will encourage a healthy development of the baby’s brain and nervous system. Each 450 mg of this gel contains purified fish oil, gelatin, vegetable glycerine, purified water, and natural tocopherols.
Zahler Prenatal DHA
Zahler Prenatal DHA is a premium prenatal supplement for the mother and the newborn child. It is specially formulated to contain the highest quality ingredients. Each formulation is analyzed and tested to ensure that only a pure and potent product is provided for you and your baby. Regular consumption of Zahler Prenatal DHA supports brain development in babies. To maximize the effect of this prenatal supplement, make sure to follow the instructions provided by your doctor for proper consumption of the product.
Zenwise Prenatal Multivitamin
This prenatal vitamin is formulated to contain potent vitamins, minerals, and digestive probiotics that support the proper development of the baby during pregnancy. It is blended with 800 mcg of folic acid, zinc, iron, 2000 IU of vitamin A, and 100mg of Vitamin C. It also contains 25 million CFU of probiotics, vitamins D2, E, B6, B12, and Biotin. It has essential nutrients that can make an expectant mother feel at her best during their pregnancy. Continuous intake of this supplement can assure you of having a healthy and happy baby.
New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitamins Fermented with Probiotics + Wholefoods + Folate + Iron + Vitamin D3 + B Vitamins + Organic Non-GMO Ingredients – 96 ct
For a complete organic prenatal vitamin that can provide you with all the essential nutrients that you and your baby need, take New Chapter’s Perfect Prenatal Vitamins. Perfect Prenatal Vitamins by New Chapter is formulated with NO SUGAR ADDED to support preconception, healthy pregnancy and fetal development. It also contains folate to support the healthy development of baby’s brain and spinal cord.
This complete daily supplement is made from whole-food ingredients including organic super food sprouts like kale, broccoli, and cauliflower. It is gentle on the tummy and is uniquely fermented with beneficial probiotics. It contains B vitamins, vitamins D3, C, A, and Zinc. It is formulated to be non-GMO, and without gluten, sugar, sweeteners, and artificial ingredients. It also does not contain any synthetic fillers or animal gelatin.
Mama Bird Prenatal Multivitamin
With every consumption of Mama Bird Prenatal Multivitamin, you are assured that you give your body and your body only the essential supplement it needs for a healthy pregnancy.
This one-a-day formulation is blended with methylated vitamins: methylfolate (natural folic acid), methylcobalamin (natural B12), and Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (natural B6). It is made to be easy to swallow and ultra-gentle on an empty stomach. It is a unique vegan formula of probiotics, digestive enzymes, and an organic herbal blend that can help alleviate morning sickness. This prenatal supplement is a totally healthy addition to your pregnancy diet. Take once a day and you’ll have the energy to keep going all day.
Pure Synergy PureNatal Prenatal Vitamin Made w/ Organic Fruits & Veggies
Nourish your body and your baby with pure, organic ingredients from Pure Synergy Purenatal Prenatal Vitamin. It will be your daily whole-food multivitamin that is perfect for pre-conception, pregnancy, as well as breastfeeding. It delivers a highly bio-available form of vitamins, minerals, and cofactors made with organic vegetables and fruits.
It contains folate, choline, iron, vitamin D3, vitamin K2, full spectrum vitamins A and E, organic berries, sprouts, ginger extract and red raspberry leaf extract. Its formulation is activated with enzymes and probiotics for enhanced bioavailability. It can be taken with or without food and is gentle on the most sensitive tummies. It is made with certified organic ingredients, is non-GMO, vegetarian, gluten-free, as well as dairy-free, so you are assured that all you get are essential elements that can fill any nutritional gaps.
Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin with 25+ Organic Vitamins, 100% Natural, DHA, EPA, Omega 3, and Organic Herbal Blend
Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin is one of the most complete prenatal supplement formulas. It contains 35+ vitamins, minerals, and organic herbal blend. This product is made in the USA in an FDA-approved cGMP facility.
It is formulated with a wide blend of micro and macro nutrients including all essential vitamins and minerals, vitamins B1, B2, B6, and B12, iron, calcium, and vitamin A (beta-carotene). It also contains naturally-sourced DHA, EPA, and Omega 3 for healthy brain development. It is blended with 100% Natural Folic Acid (methylfolate). It is also enhanced to provide full digestive support with natural probiotics. It comes in a new color from 2017 that is 100% food coloring. This prenatal supplement is 100% organic prenatal vitamin that will be best for you and your baby.
SmartyPants Prenatal Complete Gummy Vitamins
This is one of the best tasting gummies that is packed with 15 essential nutrients. These include folate (methylfolate) for proper DNA replication, iodine for nervous system and cognitive development during pregnancy, and vitamin D3 for immune health, as well as omega 3 EPA and DHA fish oil for healthy brain development. It is also manufactured to be Non-GMO. It is free of milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nut allergens, fish allergens, shellfish, soy, gluten, and wheat. It also does not contain synthetic colors, artificial flavors, or artificial sweeteners. Smarty Pants Prenatal Complete Gummy Vitamins is lab tested for purity and quality by a 3rd party.
Pregnancy brings with it a number of health concerns, including morning sickness, fatigue, lower back pain, pelvic pain, and unexplained skin issues. You may end up having longer days and will need additional energy and nutritional supplement to keep you going throughout the day. These prenatal vitamins can provide you with the essential nutritional elements that you need for a healthy pregnancy.
In case you are taking any medication for an existing condition, you may need to consult with your doctor for the appropriate supplement that you may take, however. Please also be reminded also that nutritional supplements are not intended to replace a healthy diet. You will still need to make sure that you follow a healthy lifestyle. Complementing your healthy diet with adequate rest is also a must. Finally, keeping a positive attitude will make you feel at your best even when pregnancy-related symptoms may try to get the best of you.