Pregnancy can make you glowing, knowing that you are soon to give life to a child. However, for some women, the effect is the opposite. With all the hormonal changes that you are experiencing, you will look and feel bad. This is one of the phases in your life when you will feel ugliest. More than weight gain, your skin can also look dull and dry.
To keep your skin looking at its best, consider the pregnancy skincare products that will be mentioned in the rest of this post. We will briefly tackle some of their notable features, providing you with reasons to have them chosen over other options.
- Skin Changes that Happen During Pregnancy
- Skincare Ingredients to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Skincare Ingredients to Look for During Pregnancy
- Best Ways to Take Care of your Skin During Pregnancy
- Our Top Picks for Pregnancy Skincare Products
- Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash
- Burt’s Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter
- Bio-Oil Multi-Use Skincare Oil
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Soothing Oil
- Bee-Friendly Skincare Night Cream
- Mustela Hydration Lotion and Moisturizing Balm
- Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer
- Christina Moss Naturals Shampoo
- Nine Naturals Citrus Geranium Soothing Body Wash
- Watts Beauty Argan Oil
- Pre De Provence Ultra-Hydrating Moroccan Argan Oil Body Butter
- Greatful Skin Vitamin E Oil
Skin Changes that Happen During Pregnancy
More than a bump in your belly, your body experiences a number of changes during pregnancy. Most of these changes are caused by hormonal imbalances and can affect the skin in more ways than one, including through the things that will be briefly mentioned below:
- Acne Breakouts: You will feel like puberty is hitting you hard again. Back are the days wherein you are losing self-esteem because of the pimples that randomly show up on your face as a result of hormones whacking out. Your oil glands will end up secreting more oil, which makes acne a serious problem.
- Melasma: Known as the mask of pregnancy, this leads to the appearance of dark patches that are concentrated on the cheeks, upper lip, and forehead. These brownish spots will appear to almost 70% of pregnant women, making it a serious issue that requires an effective solution.
- Dryness: This normally happens during the first trimester of pregnancy. There are two main culprits for this. The first one is the hormones. The skin secretes more oil and can end up being dry. The second reason is that you are probably losing body fluids and a common side effect of such is having dry skin.
- Itchiness: The blood supply increases during pregnancy, which is the reason why you will be suffering from mild itchiness. It is usually not a cause of concern. However, if the itchiness is too much, you might want to consult with a doctor as it can be a sign of obstetric cholestasis, a condition that damages the liver.
- Rashes: If you are feeling itchy and rashes start to appear, it is important that you do not ignore it. Such can be a result of an allergic reaction to a product that you are using but not safe for pregnancy.
- Stretch Marks: This is one of the most common complaints among pregnant women. As your tummy swells and as your baby grows, the skin stretches. After giving birth, it may not longer look normal as there can be reddish or pinkish lines. The good news is that such can be prevented and treated with the right products.
Skincare Ingredients to Avoid During Pregnancy
Whether it is facial wash, soap, moisturizer, stretch mark cream, or shampoo, among other skincare products that you will be using during pregnancy, make sure that they do not contain the following ingredients:
- Retinoids: A derivative of Vitamin A, this is an ingredient that exists in topical and oral forms. It is often used in the treatment of severe acne. This should be avoided as it can cause birth defects. To be specific, it can lead to bone, heart, and brain abnormalities.
- Tetracycline: It is a form of antibiotics, usually found in products for acne treatment. Pregnant women can suffer from liver damage. More so, it can cross the placenta. It is also linked to discoloration of baby’s teeth.
- Hydroquinone: This is an ingredient that is common in whitening creams and skin brightening products. It is also linked to birth defects, so make sure to use only skincare products that do not contain this ingredient.
- Salicylic Acid: It is also used for the treatment of acne. It is found in aspirin. When taken in oral form, it can lead to birth defects. The risks are higher compared to the cosmetic benefits that this ingredient can offer.
- Ammonia: It is best to avoid dyeing your hair during pregnancy. Many of the hair dyes on the market contain ammonia, which can negatively affect the lungs and the skin. There are ammonia-free hair dyes that can provide excellent alternatives.
- Synthetic Fragrances: When you are pregnant, it is best to look for products that are labelled as fragrance-free. Those with fragrances have phthalates that can have a negative impact on fetal development.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: This is found in topical acne treatments. When the product contains only 2.5% of this ingredient, it is safe. However, in high concentrations, it can cause skin inflammation and may affect the flow of blood to the baby.
Skincare Ingredients to Look for During Pregnancy
If there are ingredients that can be potentially toxic for your health, there are also some that can bring an abundance of benefits while promising to be effective. Below are some of the best examples of these ingredients:
- Vitamin C: This is not only found in the kitchen, but also in skincare products that are safe to be used even during pregnancy. It is critical in collagen production, a protein that will improve the elasticity of the skin. It is also an antioxidant that prevents skin damage caused by free radicals.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Often found in skincare products that exist in topical form, this is considered to be safe to use during pregnancy. It will help to effectively hydrate the skin and combat hormonal imbalance during pregnancy.
- Soy: This is a good alternative to retinoids. It can deliver the same benefits to your skin without the risks.
- Shea Butter: This is one ingredient that you will commonly find in stretch mark creams. This does not only reduce the appearance of the red lines, but also helps to soften and moisturize the skin
- Argan Oil: Packed with fatty acids and Vitamin E, this is one of the beneficial oils that can provide solution to the most common skin problems during pregnancy.
- Rosehip Seed Oil: This is another oil that can prove to be great for pregnancy skincare. It can help to soothe dry skin and in the treatment of melasma.
- Aloe Vera: If you want your skin to remain supple and hydrated during pregnancy, aloe vera is another ingredient that you should be looking for.
Best Ways to Take Care of your Skin During Pregnancy
While you will indeed benefit from using the products that will be mentioned in this post, it is still best to prioritize natural skincare. You can use products that are readily available in the kitchen. It is not only cheap, but also eco-friendly and will be good for your health and the health of your baby:
- If dryness is your concern, one of the best solutions is to load up on foods that are rich in natural fat, such as avocado and nuts. Patting the skin with a soft towel will also do the trick. Avoid bathing in hot water.
- For those who are suffering from acne breakouts during pregnancy, the use of apple cider vinegar, baking soda, citrus, honey, coconut oil, and cucumber are some of the alternative treatments that hold a lot of promise.
- If you are suffering from melasma or dark marks, one of the good natural home-made remedies would be getting enough sleep, which will help restore your body’s peak health. Lemon juice, turmeric milk, and oatmeal honey mask can be great natural topical treatments.
- Meanwhile, for natural remedies for the prevention and treatment of stretch marks, one good thing to do is to use a mixture of sugar and coconut oil as a natural belly scrub. Even coconut oil used in its own will be great as it has a moisturizing effect on the skin.
Our Top Picks for Pregnancy Skincare Products
In this section, we will briefly tackle some of our favorites when it comes to skincare products that are effective and safe to be used even by pregnant women. Take note that by skincare, we are also including those that can be used for the hair, such as shampoo and conditioner.[table id=6 /]
Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash
Belli is a brand that takes pride in their physician-formulated skincare products, which are safe for pregnant and even nursing mothers. In fact, even for babies, they are safe.
This facial wash will make the skin clear and refined using ingredients that were carefully-selected to be safe. In fact, this is approved to be used by OB-GYNs and dermatologists.
One of its main ingredients is lemon peel oil, which is known for its anti-bacterial and cleansing properties. Meanwhile, cucumber and green tea extracts are powerful antioxidants, which are effective in fighting the damage caused by free radicals.
To provide you with the assurance that it is safe for pregnant women, it has been allergy-tested. It is also free of phthalates, parabens, and fragrances, among other toxic ingredients that can put you at risk during pregnancy.
Burt’s Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter
Made by one of the most trusted brands on the market, this is another option that you should not miss. This belly butter can be used as a lotion, which will be highly-effective in the prevention of stretch marks.
It has a blend of natural butters and oils that can nourish the skin, making it smooth and soft, even during pregnancy. It is made of 99% butter, which will help in the recovery of the skin during pregnancy. This will be instrumental in the prevention of itching and other forms of skin discomfort.
Another thing that you will love about this product is the fact that it is fragrance-free. It does not have a smell that a lot of pregnant women might find irritating.
Bio-Oil Multi-Use Skincare Oil
Stretch marks are common skincare concerns amongst pregnant women. This product is one of the most trusted to deal with such problem.
It is not only dermatologically-tested, but it is also clinically-proven to be effective, so there is no reason to not believe the claims that it is indeed effective in the treatment of stretch marks and scars.
This oil has multiple uses. Aside from the belly, it is also a great addition to your facial care routine. It is available in a light and non-greasy formula. Plus, it won’t clog your pores. It also helps fight aging of the skin and prevents uneven skin tone. The oil is also effective for providing relief against dryness.
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Soothing Oil
Palmer’s has an extensive range of pregnancy skincare products and this is one of the most popular. It has a special formulation that has the main goal of soothing dry and itchy skin. It effectively softens and moisturizes the skin during pregnancy.
It contains Vitamin E, collagen, and elastin, among others that help in keeping the skin elastic and firm, even after you are pregnant. It also has lecithin, making it more effective for nourishing the skin.
It is also a good thing that it comes in the form of a pump spray, which makes the application a snap to accomplish.
Bee-Friendly Skincare Night Cream
A quick look at the ingredients of this product will be enough to convince you that this is indeed a great choice when it comes to pregnancy skincare products. It has a blend of potent and natural ingredients that will provide the nourishment that your skin needs.
This product comes with a deeply-hydrating formula, which will work as you sleep. Simply apply it before bed time and let it do its magic to restore the best look of your skin, even during pregnancy.
This cream is thick and concentrated, which provides maximum absorption on the skin. This also allows the skin to fully-maximize the ingredients in the cream.
Mustela Hydration Lotion and Moisturizing Balm
You can have peace of mind knowing that this product has been clinically-tested to prove its effectiveness. 89% of users showed immediate relief and 86% noted reduction of dryness.
One thing that makes this an exceptional choice for pregnancy skincare is the use of avocado peptides. It is rich in essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals that can moisturize the skin and prevent relief from itchiness. It also makes the skin supple and helps in the prevention of stretch marks.
It is also worth noting that it has hypoallergenic formulation, making it safe for moms and babies. It can be used during and after pregnancy without the need to worry.
Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer
Concerned about the appearance of wrinkles that might make you look older than your actual age? This moisturizer got you covered! Even during pregnancy, there is no need to worry as it is made of ingredients that are proven to be safe.
With the unique formulation and natural ingredients that you can find in this moisturizer, it will help in fighting damages from free radicals, making the skin firm. It will also hydrate and moisturize, which are two of the most important things to make you look at your best even with the hormonal changes that you experience during pregnancy.
Its results are validated in clinical trials. 100% of its users reported an improvement in hydration. 87.5%, meanwhile, noted improved radiance and 87.5% said it improved the luminosity of the skin.
Christina Moss Naturals Shampoo
When looking for haircare products to use during pregnancy, you should pick one that is sulfate-free. It must be also made of natural ingredients that can give you good-looking hair without being exposed to toxic chemicals. This shampoo has these characteristics. It is also free of synthetic fragrances, dyes, and parabens, among other harsh ingredients.
Whether you have dry, curly, fine, or oily hair, this will be a good choice. Even for color-treated hair, this will work.
The manufacturer offers a satisfaction guarantee for six months. Within such duration, if you are unhappy with the results of using the product, you can return it to the manufacturer and they will issue a replacement or an unconditional refund.
Nine Naturals Citrus Geranium Soothing Body Wash
Nine Naturals is another brand of pregnancy-safe skincare products that you should know about. This body wash is made mostly of citrus and geranium, providing it with a gentle and soothing formulation. For sure, your shower time will be more relaxing!
To make it safe for pregnant women, it is made without phthalates, parabens, sulfates, and other toxic ingredients.
It has a creamy formulation that is perfect for daily use. It also works for all skin types. After your shower, your skin will be fresh and invigorated!
Watts Beauty Argan Oil
Liquid gold from Morocco – this is what most people call argan oil, the main ingredient in this pregnancy-safe skincare product. One of the best things about this is its versatility. It can be used in the face, body, hair, and nails in more ways than one. From hair conditioning to the prevention of stretch marks, pregnant women can have plenty of ways to take advantage of this.
Aside from being organic and paraben-free, it is also worth noting that it is not tested in animals. More so, part of the profits from the sale of this product goes directly to the Berber women.
Pre De Provence Ultra-Hydrating Moroccan Argan Oil Body Butter
Similar to the product that has been mentioned above, this is also made of argan oil. It is a rich and buttery cream that can provide moisturizing effect to your skin. The best use of this is for the belly, which will be instrumental in the prevention of the dreaded stretch marks.
As a moisturizing beauty miracle, this can be used beyond the tummy. You can also use it in the hair and face. Regardless of where and how it is used, there is no need to worry as it is pregnancy-safe. It is made of gentle and natural ingredients that will not cause adverse reactions upon application.
Greatful Skin Vitamin E Oil
The purity of this product is one thing that many of its users appreciate. It contains only coconut oil ester and Vitamin E, which are excellent ingredients for nourishing the skin during pregnancy. To be specific, it helps in the treatment of stretch marks and dryness. It can also be applied on the skin to fight visible signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines.
With a risk-free trial, there is no reason to not give it a try. If you are unhappy in any way, all that you have to do is to send the manufacturer an email and they will do what it takes to make you happy with your purchase.
Do not let hormonal changes bring you down during pregnancy. Even if you are gaining weight and looking almost double your usual size, you should not lose confidence. Maintain your glow and stay beautiful by using the skincare products that have been mentioned above. They are perfectly safe for you and for your baby!