Buying a baby shampoo is not as simple as walking down the supermarket aisle and picking a bottle with the cheapest price or the most attractive packaging. It should be noted that not all baby shampoos are the same. Especially when it comes to the ingredients used, they can vary in terms of their effectiveness.
Are you on the lookout for the best shampoo for baby? If you are finding it hard to decide which one to buy, the rest of this post has got you covered. We will help you pick the right one for your baby. From the formulation to the effectiveness, you have to take the time to see how one product is different from the other.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Baby Shampoo
- Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
- Cetaphil Baby Wash and Shampoo with Organic Calendula
- Mustela Gentle Shampoo
- Burt’s Bees Baby Shampoo and Wash
- Aveeno Baby Gentle Wash and Shampoo
- Johnson’s Baby Tear-Free Shampoo
- Waleda 2-in1 Gentle Shampoo + Body Wash
- Honest Shampoo and Body Wash
- Shea Moisture Olive Oil and Marula Baby Wash & Shampoo
- I am Happy Baby Shampoo Body Wash
- Should Babies Use a Shampoo?
- What to Look for in a Baby Shampoo
- How to Take Care of your Baby’s Hair
- How to Shampoo Baby’s Hair
Our Top Picks for the Best Baby Shampoo
Still clueless about which one will make the best choice? No need to worry! Below are some of the products that should be included on your list!
Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
Similar to this product, a lot of the options for a top-rated baby shampoo also doubles as a body wash. It is made of nature-derived ingredients, providing a guarantee that it will be gentle to the baby. For instance, it contains pink grapefruit essential oils and botanical extracts. It is also recommended even by dermatologists. It does not contain harsh chemicals that could irritate the scalp of babies. To add, you will also love how it has a refreshing scent. If you are unhappy with the product, let the manufacturer know and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Cetaphil Baby Wash and Shampoo with Organic Calendula
This is made by one of the most trusted brands of gentle cleansers, which should already make you confident that this is going to be an exceptional product. It produces a thick lather when applied on the hair and the body, yet it has a tear-free formula. The main ingredient is organic calendula, which is known for its calming properties. It is free of additives and harsh ingredients that can irritate the scalp or the eyes. You will also be happy to know that the shampoo comes with a hypoallergenic formulation.
Mustela Gentle Shampoo
The highlight of this mild and tear-free shampoo is the use of avocado perseose. The latter is an exclusive natural ingredient that has been developed by the company to maintain the natural richness and moisture of the scalp and the skin. It is free of chemical-derived ingredients that could possibly cause irritation. It may not be as easy to wash off as others, but it is worth the extra effort since it is effective in providing relief from itchiness. It also leaves the hair and the scalp smelling fresh throughout the day.
Burt’s Bees Baby Shampoo and Wash
The brand name itself can already provide you with enough reason to have it chosen over others. It cleanses not only the hair but also the skin. It is made using the finest natural ingredients that are gentle on the scalp and skin of the baby. The shampoo is also fragrance-free, but you can expect that the hair will smell good. If you are concerned about the environment, it is also good to know that this is a cruelty-free shampoo, which means that it has never been tested in animals.
Aveeno Baby Gentle Wash and Shampoo
No more tears – this is what you can expect from this baby shampoo, which also doubles as a body wash. It is made using natural oat extract, which is known for its effective moisturizing properties. Meanwhile, it also effectively retains the moisture in the scalp and hair because it contains glycerin. The shampoo is free of parabens and phthalates, among other harsh ingredients. It produces a rich lather when applied in the scalp while leaving a mild scent. After using this shampoo, you will notice that the hair of your baby will be a lot softer to the touch.
Johnson’s Baby Tear-Free Shampoo
The shampoo might appear to be a bit watery at first, but once it is applied, you will see that it does not take long before it produces a thick lather. Despite this, you only need to rinse it once to get rid of the shampoo. It is going to make the hair soft and silky without causing irritation to the scalp. One of the best things about this product is that it contains naturally-derived ingredients that have been tested by experts to make sure that they will be safe for babies. Of course, it also has the no more tears formula, one thing the company has been known for.
Waleda 2-in1 Gentle Shampoo + Body Wash
This is another shampoo and body wash combo that uses calendula as its main ingredient. The latter is combined with almond and sesame seed oil, which will help to make the hair softer and smell fresher. To make the formula even better, it also contains gentle amino acid cleansers. Meanwhile, there are no sulfates, phthalates, and parabens, among other ingredients that could result in irritation. The fragrance is derived from natural ingredients instead of harsh chemicals. There is also no need to worry that the shampoo will reach the eyes of the baby since it is tear-free.
Honest Shampoo and Body Wash
This perfectly gentle shampoo is an impressive choice basically because it contains plant-based ingredients that are also known for being hypoallergenic. It is made of coconut oil, jojoba protein, and quinoa extracts, among other components that can effectively make the hair look better. Meanwhile, with orange and vanilla extracts, you can expect that the hair will smell fresh after every application and it will last throughout the day.
Shea Moisture Olive Oil and Marula Baby Wash & Shampoo
Your baby will surely feel relaxed when you use this shampoo and body wash, basically because of the light scent and the soothing formula. From the time you rub the shampoo in your palm to applying it to the hair of the baby, you will feel the softness of the shampoo. This can be attributed to the use of shea butter and aloe vera, among other natural ingredients. Even when it is used daily, it will be gentle on the scalp and the skin since it does not contain irritants and harsh chemicals.
I am Happy Baby Shampoo Body Wash
With the 3-in-1 versatility of this product, you can get rid of the clutter in the bathroom! Aside from being a gentle shampoo, it also functions as a body wash and bubble bath. As the shampoo is 100% natural, you do not have to be worried about allergies and irritations, unlike in the case of shampoos that contains sulfates, parabens, and other harsh chemicals. Still not convinced? You might have a change of mind after knowing that a refund will be extended by the manufacturer if you are not 100% happy with this shampoo.
Should Babies Use a Shampoo?
Of course! A baby shampoo is a must for taking care of your baby. Some people might think that this is only a waste of money, thinking that the thin hair of the baby does not need to be shampooed at all. They do not sweat a lot, but still, it will be good to use the right shampoo as a part of their bath routine.
Despite being thin, the hair of babies can be prone to tangling, especially when they always roll when they are lying in bed. This is one of the reasons why the right shampoo is a good addition to their bath time. It will help to detangle their hair. It will also be effective in moisturizing their scalp, making it free of irritation. This, of course, will only hold true if you use a shampoo that is free of harsh chemicals.
However, it should also be noted that a shampoo can strip the natural oils of the hair. This can be avoided by not using the shampoo daily. Also, it should be noted that babies do not need to take a bath daily, especially when they are young.
What to Look for in a Baby Shampoo
Being a responsible parent, you need to exert the effort to differentiate the possibilities. To help you narrow down the options, here are some of the most important things that you should be looking for in a baby shampoo:
- Tear-Free Formula: While the term tear-free is not regulated by the authorities, it is still good to pick a shampoo that does not irritate the eye. Otherwise, this can be uncomfortable and painful for babies, making them dread bath time.
- Natural Ingredients: The ingredients should be derived from natural sources, such as plants and botanical extracts. If there are chemicals, they will be harsh on the scalp and the baby could suffer from irritation.
- Versatility: You will be able to save money if you are going to buy a baby shampoo that also doubles as a body wash.
- Fragrance: Some parents would want the shampoo to be fragrance-free while others would want to have it with a light fragrance. The latter is alright as long as the fragrances are not derived from chemicals.
- Safety Tests: Look for shampoos that have been dermatologically tested and recommended, which should provide you with peace of mind.
How to Take Care of your Baby’s Hair
It will help if you will use the right shampoo, but it is not all that it takes to take care of the baby. Below are other things that you can do:
- Especially for babies with thick hair, aside from the shampoo, there are other alternatives that can be used for moisturizing. Some of the best that you can use to moisturize the hair include baby oil and coconut oil.
- To tame tangles, you can use a leave-in conditioner. Just make sure that it is specially formulated for use amongst babies. Frequent combing of the hair will also be good to prevent tangling. Better yet, cut the hair short. This way, tangles will not only be prevented, but the baby can also feel more comfortable.
- When you are combing the hair, make sure to use a brush with soft bristles. Also, comb as gently as possible. Otherwise, the scalp can suffer from irritation.
- There are some babies who suffer from a condition known as cradle cap, which is characterized by the presence of red and flaky patches. Massaging with oil will be a good way to treat this condition.
How to Shampoo Baby’s Hair
When shampooing the hair, be as gentle as possible. Here are the steps that you have to follow:
- Prepare and make sure that the baby is calm before taking a bath.
- Start by washing the body of the baby. Make sure that the water is warm. Starting at the body will make the baby feel more comfortable.
- Take the baby out of the tub and wrap him or her in a towel. If the wrap is too tight, the baby will end up being uncomfortable.
- Put the baby back in the tub. The hair should get wet while the rest of the body stays dry. At this point, you can rub the shampoo on the hair. A small amount will be more than enough as it will most likely be able to produce a thick lather.
- You can also use a sponge to rub on the scalp on the baby if you want to be gentler.
- See to it that the head is in a reclining position, which will prevent the bubbles from reaching the eyes of the baby.
- Wash the shampoo out of the hair of the baby. Once you are done rinsing, use a clean towel to gently dry the hair.
From having a tear-free formula to being made using natural ingredients, there are several factors that should be taken into account when looking for a baby shampoo. To make your life easier, limit your choices to the shampoos that have been mentioned above. For sure, babies will love their bath time!