Being pregnant can make you suffer from a hodge-podge of emotions. You are excited to give life to your baby, but at the same time, you feel down a lot. Blame it on the hormones! You will have mood swings. Plus, you might end up being confused with the long list of do’s and don’ts, even when it comes to the makeup that you can use.
During pregnancy, your skin may experience drastic changes, resulting in dryness and dullness. The good news is that you can still wear makeup, provided that you choose the right products. The most important is that it should be safe to use for pregnant women.
Which make up is safe for pregnancy? If you need help on what to buy, keep on reading the rest of this post as we list down some of the top options that you might want to consider.
- Why Pregnant Women Should Choose the Right Makeup
- What Ingredients to Avoid in Make-up during Pregnancy
- What to Look for in Pregnancy Makeup
- How to Look Good Beyond Wearing Makeup
- Our Top Picks for Pregnancy-Safe Makeup
- HAN Skin Care Cosmetics Natural Cheek and Lip Tint
- VSACHAR MD Pregnancy-Safe Lipstick
- VSACHAR MD Weightless Sheer Foundation
- Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronzing Tint
- Honeybee Gardens Effortless Eye Liner
- Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals A Foundation
- Mineral Fusion Eyeshadow Trio
- W3LL People Foundation + Concealer Stick
- Real Purity Lipstick
Why Pregnant Women Should Choose the Right Makeup
It is a given fact that a lot of makeups contain toxic ingredients that can harm anyone. The problem becomes bigger when we are talking about pregnancy. During the latter, women should be more careful since it is not only their health that is at risk but also the health of their baby.
When you are pregnant and exposed to the chemicals in makeup products, your reproductive health can suffer. Some of the most common issues include pre-term birth, low birth weight, and even infertility. They can also disrupt the normal hormone functions of the body, compromising your overall health.
In one article from Daily Mail, it has also been noted that in a US study, exposure to phthalates in makeup has been linked to lower IQ in children. It evaluated a total of 328 cases and still needs further investigation to prove such claim.
What Ingredients to Avoid in Make-up during Pregnancy
It will be wise to look at the label and make sure that it is free of potentially toxic ingredients, which include those that will be briefly mentioned below:
- Parabens: These are used as a preservative in makeups. They will prevent the growth of mold and bacteria. Although they have been widely used for more than eight decades, it is best to stay away from this during pregnancy.
- Retinoids: This is a form of Vitamin A, which is a critical component in fetal development. However, it should also be noted that too much Vitamin A can cause liver toxicity and birth defects.
- Phthalates: This is a chemical that is usually added to plastic for the improvement of flexibility. In one article from The Guardian, it has been revealed that the exposure to phthalates can have negative health impacts, which include diabetes, obesity, asthma, behavioral issues, and altered reproductive development, among others.
- Formaldehyde: This ingredient causes cancer, which is why it is best to avoid it in your makeup, especially when you are pregnant. The World Health Organization classifies it as carcinogenic. It is also known as a potent allergen.
- Salicylic Acid: Listed by the FDA as a Category C ingredient, this is one of the acids that can cause adverse effects during pregnancy. Look for products with lactic or glycolic acid instead as they are generally classified as safer.
- Hydroquinone: This is an ingredient that is used for lightening the skin, which is tempting during pregnancy because of the appearance of dark spots. In high amounts, it can be absorbed by the skin and enter the bloodstream, which can potentially harm your baby.
What to Look for in Pregnancy Makeup
Now that you know what to avoid, we will also briefly talk about what you should look for in a makeup.
Organic and natural are two of the words that you should be looking for. However, take note that the use of these words in cosmetics have no legal basis. With this, you should also look for other key phrases, which include fragrance-free, BPA-free, no phthalates, no parabens, and NO DEA.
If you are unsure, the internet always saves the day! Look for reviews of other pregnant women and you can learn from their experiences. Take the time to read the label and research about the ingredients that are used to be sure if it is safe for pregnancy.
How to Look Good Beyond Wearing Makeup
While it is indeed true that makeup can make you look better, it is not the only solution to looking good during your pregnancy. With this, here are other things that you can do to look radiant and glowing:
- Live a healthy lifestyle. Watch out what you eat. Load on fruits and vegetables, and for sure, your face will look healthier even without makeup. Eating foods rich in folic acid will also provide you with a natural glow.
- As we all know, drinking lots of water will benefit the skin.
- Use a gentle and pH-balanced cleanser to get rid of oily skin, which is a common thing to happen during pregnancy.
- Opt for natural skincare routine and homemade remedies to common skincare problems. Using aloe vera gel, for instance, will help to keep the skin hydrated.
- Less is more – this should be your beauty philosophy. Keep things simple and do not apply too many products on your face, especially if you are unsure of their safety.
Our Top Picks for Pregnancy-Safe Makeup
Without further ado, here are some of the best makeups that promise to give you a beautiful glow without causing harm to your body and to your baby.
HAN Skin Care Cosmetics Natural Cheek and Lip Tint
One of the best things about this product is that it was created by a mom who would want to be safe while using makeup during her pregnancy! You can have the same assurance when you use this makeup!
It comes with a nutrient-rich formula. The ingredients were sourced from fruits, vegetables, and minerals. It has a hydrating formula that gives life to dull skin.
It is also well-loved by many because it is a 2-in-1 makeup. You can apply it to the lips or cheeks and expect the same great look.
Like how makeup for pregnant women should be, this is free of artificial dyes, colorants, petrochemicals, talc, gluten, and carmine, among other ingredients that can be harmful to pregnant women when they are absorbed by the skin.
VSACHAR MD Pregnancy-Safe Lipstick
With maximum coverage, lasting effect, and natural ingredients, this is another makeup that pregnant women can proudly wear without worries!
Their lipsticks are non-toxic, which can provide you with peace of mind. As we all know, lipsticks can be ingested in tiny amounts when you eat or drink. Since this product is made using natural ingredients that will not harm the body, your safety is assured!
It is also a good thing that it does not contain lead, an ingredient that has been recently declared by the FDA as a potential risk and can lead to problems in fetal development.
VSACHAR MD Weightless Sheer Foundation
This mineral foundation will be effective in the prevention of wrinkles and fine line. It also offers UVA and UVB protection, made possible by zinc oxide.
What makes this safe for pregnant women is that it is formulated without phthalates, parabens, sulfates, nano-particles, fragrances, and talc, among other ingredients common in cosmetics and proven to be toxic.
The foundation is also lightweight and can last for up to 24 hours. There is no need to reapply throughout the day!
Lastly, it is available in four shades to suit different skin types – fair, light, medium beige, and honey beige.
Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronzing Tint
This dual-action bronzer will provide the skin with a sun-kissed glow while also softening the appearance of the imperfections. With this bronzing tint, your skin will look healthy and radiant, even with the side effects of pregnancy.
Similar to the other makeups that are manufactured by Dr. Hauschka, it is good to know that it is free of synthetic ingredients and preservatives. It has a 100% natural formulation, providing you with the confidence that it is safe to use even during pregnancy.
Honeybee Gardens Effortless Eye Liner
Since the company started in 1995, they had one goal – to produce all-natural and non-toxic beauty products, which is exactly the reason why this eyeliner will be the perfect choice for pregnant women. It is vegan, paraben-free, and gluten-free.
Aside from being natural, another thing to love in this product is that it is effortless to use. It is quite softer compared to other eyeliners, which is why it will glide smoothly. However, this also means that you should be more cautious in its application.
Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals A Foundation
If you are looking for luxurious beauty products that are safe for pregnant women, this should be on the top of the list. It is expensive, but take note of the fact that it is mineral-based.
This serum with pigment can provide sheer to medium coverage. It does not only hydrate the skin but can also help in the reduction of wrinkles and fine lines, among other imperfections on the skin.
It is also worth noting that similar to the other makeups manufactured by the company, it has a state-of-the-art technology to provide you an assurance that the active ingredients will not degrade. The actives will also time-release upon its application on the skin.
Mineral Fusion Eyeshadow Trio
One of the best things about this eyeshadow is that it contains a potent blend of antioxidants, which will aid in the prevention of damage caused by free radicals. More so, it uses only botanicals and minerals that can soothe the skin and safe even when you are pregnant. It does not contain talc, parabens, and fragrances, among other toxic ingredients.
It is also a good thing that it comes with minerals that can offer protection from the harmful UV rays.
The eyeshadow trio has three shades in one – matte cream, shimmering taupe, and deep matte plum.
W3LL People Foundation + Concealer Stick
Upon application on the skin, this foundation will melt in an instant. It is weightless and provides a soft look while being able to hide your imperfections.
It is safe for pregnant women since it is made with the use of carefully-selected ingredients, all of which are natural and organic. There is no grease, gluten, and GMO.
The foundation also contains silica, which can absorb oil from the face and control shine.
Real Purity Lipstick
This is another lipstick that is made of all-natural and organic ingredients, making it a great option for pregnancy-safe makeup. It makes the lips look plump and full without taking in toxic chemicals.
According to EWG, a popular cosmetics database, this is one of the safest lipsticks on the market, providing you with another good reason to choose it above all others.
Even if you are pregnant, you should take the time to make yourself look beautiful, which is possible with the use of the makeups mentioned above. Do not just buy any product. See to it that it does not contain ingredients that will harm you or your baby!