A healthy baby – this is what every parent wants. There are many ways to ensure this, and one of the best is through using the best essential oils for baby, including those that will be mentioned in the rest of this post. It is important to note, however, that according to the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, essential oils should not be used for babies who are younger than three months.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Essential Oils for Baby
- KidSafe by Plant Therapy Calming the Child Essential Oil
- Essenzia Alternakids Immune Blend Essential Oil
- Oilogic Stuffy Nose and Cough Relief Essential Oil
- Aviano Roman Chamomile Ultra-Premium Essential Oil
- Good Sleep Blend Therapeutic Blend Essential Oil
- Plant Therapy Organic Lavender Essential Oil
- Young Living Lavender Essential Oil
- Garden of Green Dill Essential Oil
- Essential Oil Labs Lavender Essential Oil
- Gya Labs Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Woolzies Jasmine 100% Essential Oil
- Art Naturals 100% Pure Bergamot Essential Oil
- Ingredients to Look for in Essential Oils for Babies
- Different Ways to Use Essential Oils for Babies
- Safety Reminders when Using Essential Oils for Babies
Our Top Picks for the Best Essential Oils for Baby
While there have been extensive claims with regards to how essential oils can help babies, it should be noted that there are still risks that are involved, especially when you choose the wrong product and when it is used in the wrong way. For your peace of mind, below are some of the best products that should be on your radar.
KidSafe by Plant Therapy Calming the Child Essential Oil
Natural serenity in a bottle – this is what you can expect from this product. It is an organic blend of effective ingredients that can calm a baby. These ingredients include Roman chamomile, lavender, tangerine, and Mandarin orange. It is 100% pure and undiluted, providing you with the confidence that it does not contain fillers. Each product goes through multiple tests to provide you with the confidence that it will be safe for the little ones.
Essenzia Alternakids Immune Blend Essential Oil
As parents, we surely want our babies to have a stronger immune system, which is exactly what you can expect with the use of this product. It has a unique blend of ingredients that claim to be effective against cold, flu, and allergies. This can be attributed to its germicidal and antibacterial properties. It is also worth noting that it is packaged in a dark cobalt blue bottle, which is effective in providing UV protection to maintain the quality of the oil.
Oilogic Stuffy Nose and Cough Relief Essential Oil
As the name implies, this is an essential oil that will help in the prevention of stuffy nose and cough amongst babies. It is a 100% concentrated blend that is made of castor oil and jojoba oil to help keep your baby healthy. It does not contain harsh ingredients, such as parabens, phthalates, petroleum, gluten, dyes, sulfates, synthetic perfumes, and artificial coloring, among others. However, while most essential oils are good for three months and up, this product is for babies six months and above.
Aviano Roman Chamomile Ultra-Premium Essential Oil
The sweet and soothing smell of this essential oil is sure to make babies feel relaxed and will give them a good sleep. This is a good way to calm them down when they start feeling irritable. It can also add a good scent during a baby’s bath time. The superior therapeutic grade properties can be enjoyed even by babies without being worried that it can put their health at risk basically because it uses only natural ingredients.
Good Sleep Blend Therapeutic Blend Essential Oil
This is an essential oil that works not only for babies but even for adults, especially for those who are having a hard time relaxing or sleeping. It is made of pure and natural materials in a state-of-the-art facility, guaranteeing the highest level of effectiveness and safety. If you are unhappy in any way, just let the manufacturer know and you will be given an unconditional refund. Your money will not go into waste!
Plant Therapy Organic Lavender Essential Oil
This is a 100% USDA Certified Organic Essential Oil, which is one of the reasons why it will be safe even for babies. It has a floral aroma that will be excellent for rest and relaxation. There are no additives and fillers that are used in the manufacturing of this product. The product has been through rigorous tests to guarantee nothing but top-notch quality, which should be more than enough to provide you with peace of mind.
Young Living Lavender Essential Oil
It is an essential oil produced by a company claiming to use ingredients that have been grown in their own farms, so the quality is hard to question. They have a process called seed to seal, which gives them complete control of the production from the start to finish, providing an assurance that the essential oil is unadulterated. Aside from promoting relaxation, this is also great for energy and stamina.
Garden of Green Dill Essential Oil
The fresh and warm aroma of dill makes this another excellent option when searching for the best essential oil for babies. It is 100% pure, so you never have to worry about having ingredients that are unsafe for your child. It comes with a European dropper, providing an assurance that you will be using only the right amount of oil all the time, which will also help to minimize waste. Aside from dill, it is also blended with grapefruit, clove, sweet orange, bergamot, and cinnamon, among other ingredients.
Essential Oil Labs Lavender Essential Oil
One of the things that make it great even for babies is the fact that it is made using ethically-sourced ingredients all the way from Bulgaria. There are no fillers, pesticides, and carrier oils, which will guarantee its purity. It is good to be used for the skin of babies, as long as you follow the safety precautions. There is a digital book that is included as a part of the product when purchased, which will let you know more about essential oils.
Gya Labs Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
Similar to the essential oils that have been mentioned in this post, this is also undiluted and does not contain fillers. It uses pure Roman chamomile, although it is blended with other ingredients, which include bergamot, cedarwood, tea tree, and sweet orange, among others. You are also assured of the best value for the money. If you are unhappy with the essential oil, get in touch with the manufacturer and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Woolzies Jasmine 100% Essential Oil
The intense and sweet floral aroma of this essential oil will make it great for sleep and relaxation. It is also therapeutic-grade and made using natural materials that won’t irritate babies, as long as safety precautions are observed in its use. It should be noted, however, that it is only 30% jasmine oil. It is mixed with other ingredients, which include neroli oil, rose oil, geranium oil, and lavender oil.
Art Naturals 100% Pure Bergamot Essential Oil
This is another 100% natural essential oil, so you can safely use it on babies. It is also certified vegan, cruelty-free, hexane-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO. It has a captivating aroma that makes it good for relaxation. Nonetheless, bergamot is quite stronger than the other essential oils, which is why it is best to use only for babies who are at least six months.
Ingredients to Look for in Essential Oils for Babies
Generally speaking, essential oils are good for babies. However, not all essential oils are created the same. One of the easiest ways to gauge its safety would be through the ingredients that are used. With this, the following are the ingredients that are best:
- Lavender: This is a calming and gentle essential oil that is known for not having any hazards or contraindications. It will be effective in relaxing a fussy baby and in improving the quality of sleep.
- Chamomile: This is another essential oil that will be great for babies who are having trouble sleeping.
- Mandarin Orange: It is recommended for nighttime use because of its calming effects on babies. It is also not phototoxic, which makes it great even when applied on the skin.
- Dill: Aside from the calming properties, this is also great for being an antispasmodic, which will make it effective for indigestion.
- Bergamot: The citrusy fragrance of this essential oil makes it great for uplifting the mood of babies.
- Sunflower: This is a vegetable oil that is rich in linoleic acid, which is highly recommended for babies who have sensitive skin.
- Tea Tree: It is popular for its antifungal and antimicrobial benefits. However, it can be quite harsh, so avoid using on babies with sensitive skin.
There are also essential oil ingredients that you have to avoid because they can be too strong for babies. Some of these ingredients include citronella, oregano, thyme, cumin, lemongrass, and birch.
Different Ways to Use Essential Oils for Babies
There is a long list of ways to use essential oils for babies, such as through the following:
- Massage: A gentle massage is one of the easiest ways to soothe an irritable baby. However, make sure that the oil is gentle enough since most babies have sensitive skin that could negatively react with some ingredients in essential oils.
- Bath: A few drops of essential oil in water, especially chamomile and lavender, will make bath time more relaxing.
- Diffuser: Having difficulty putting a baby to sleep? A good solution is to have a diffuser and use essential oils that are known for their relaxing effect.
- Spritz: As an alternative to diffusing, you can also consider spritzing the essential oils in the room before bedtime. However, avoid spraying it directly on the pillows as this could result in accidental ingestion.
Safety Reminders when Using Essential Oils for Babies
To make the most out of the essential oils and to have peace of mind when it comes to safety, below are some of the important things to remember:
- One of the most important things that you should do is to dilute all the essential oils when they are used. As much as possible, you should mix one drop of essential oil with your choice of one drop of carrier oil.
- Essential oils should not be ingested, especially by babies. When an essential oil has been accidentally ingested, consult with a medical professional as soon as possible.
- Pay attention to the proper storage of essential oils. Keep it in a place away from direct light and heat. It should be stored somewhere a baby cannot easily reach the bottle.
- Introduce only one essential oil at a time, specifically one that is gentle on babies. Do not mix different essential oils.
- If you intend to apply the essential oil directly on the skin of the baby, test it out first on a small area of the skin. If it becomes red or swollen, do not use the essential oil.
- Pay attention to essential oils that are photosensitive. These are never meant to be applied on the skin when the baby is going out. The heat of the sun can put the baby at risk.
- As it has been noted in the introduction, essential oils should never be used for babies who are younger than three months. At such stage, the baby’s skin has not yet fully developed, which makes it sensitive.
- Always read the instructions and safety precautions from the manufacturer. You must religiously follow what is written in the label. The dilution ratio and the recommended dosage are some of the most important things that require your attention.
- Talk to a doctor if you are unsure of what essential oils to use and how to use it.
Indeed, the best essential oils for baby can be beneficial in more ways than one. It can be used either for topical applications or in a diffuser, among other things. However, make sure to follow the safety precautions for the oils to be effective. More importantly, use only high-quality products, including those that we have recommended above.