There is perhaps nothing scarier than the thought of your child falling out of bed while you are in the middle of good sleep. Do not let this happen to your little one. Prevent this unfortunate situation by investing in the best toddler bed rails!
A bed rail keeps your child safe and sound during sleep. It gives you peace of mind. They also make it easier to transition from crib to bed.
While there are many options for a bed rail, this does not give you an excuse to decide in haste. From the materials used to the safety standards, pay attention to a few important considerations.
Looking for a bed rail? Undecided what to buy? Read on and we’ll help you make the right decision.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Toddler Bed Rails
- #1 Regalo Swing-Down Bed Rail Guard, 54 Inches
- #2 Regalo Swing Down Bed Rail Guard, 43 Inches
- #3 Munchkin Sleep Toddler Bed Rail
- #4 Baby Joy Toddlers Bed Rail Guard
- #5 Hiccapop Convertible Crib Toddler Bed Rail
- #6 ComfyBumpy Toddler Bed Rail Guard
- #7 Dream On Me Mesh Security Rail
- #8 Summer Infant Double Safety Bed Rail
- #9 Safety 1st Top of Mattress Bed Rail
- #10 Baby Elf Bed Rails for Toddler
- Types of Toddler Bed Rails
- How to Choose the Best Toddler Bed Rails
Our Top Picks for the Best Toddler Bed Rails
All set? Here are the top products that should be on your radar, as well as the features that will make them worth your money.
#1 Regalo Swing-Down Bed Rail Guard, 54 Inches
One of the things that we love the most in this product is its all-steel frame, which is one of the reasons why it won’t disappoint if you are after durability. The middle part, on the other hand, is mesh nylon fabric.
At a length of 54 inches, this is one of the biggest we’ve seen within the product category. This makes this an excellent choice even for large toddler beds.
The swing-down design is also great in terms of versatility. This makes it easier to carry your child in and out of the bed.
It comes with locking tabs that make it effortless to install on the bed. It is also a good thing that it has gap guard protection, an innovative feature that has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer. This prevents a gap between the rail and the mattress, which is also a good safety feature.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a 90-day limited warranty for this bed rail.
#2 Regalo Swing Down Bed Rail Guard, 43 Inches
This is from the same manufacturer as the product that has been mentioned above, so you can expect the same exceptional quality. The main difference lies in their length. The first product is 54 inches. This bed rail is shorter as the length is only 43 inches. It is suitable for queen and twin bed. The manufacturer, however, warns that this is only for box spring bed.
Ease of set-up is one of the things that you will love in this product. There is no need to use any tool to complete its assembly.
It comes with a high-quality steel frame with mesh nylon fabric. The two materials are known for their durability. Plus, they are also effortless to clean, so there is no need to worry about care and maintenance.
Lastly, this product is also notable because it has certifications from both Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association and American Society for Testing and Materials.
#3 Munchkin Sleep Toddler Bed Rail
The innovative construction of this rail is one of the best reasons to choose this over its competitors. It has a lightweight but long-lasting aluminum frame. It is also available in different colors, which adds a design element in the room of your toddler. You can choose from pink, aqua blue, lime green, and grey.
The height of this bed rail is 18 inches. The width, on the other hand, can extend up to 36 inches. It fits a queen, twin, and full beds.
Another good feature that you will find in this product is the push-button hinge, which makes it a breeze to swing the upper part of the rail. In terms of assembly, it is also worth noting that you won’t have a hard time. The rail is ready within a minute. No tools required!
#4 Baby Joy Toddlers Bed Rail Guard
With the sturdy design of this bed rail, you can be confident that it will be able to deliver the highest level of safety and protection for your kid. It has a long-lasting steel frame that keeps it secure on the side of the bed. Meanwhile, the frame is covered with a net cloth, which the manufacturer claims to be an environmentally-friendly material.
The length of this rail is 59 inches while the height is 23 inches. This is one of the longest rails from the products that are included in our list, which means that it has a wide application. It fits different bed sizes. The mesh that covers the rail is visible, so you can easily see your kid.
Like most of the products on our list, another benefit of this product is its ease of use. All that you have to do is to secure it under the bed rail. It is also a good thing that you can easily fold it down when not used.
#5 Hiccapop Convertible Crib Toddler Bed Rail
One thing that makes this different from the other products on our list is how it is designed for cribs. It fits most crib designs and sizes. It is extra-tall, so this will work even if you have a thick mattress in the crib.
You will also love how the rail easily folds, which comes handy during playtime or bedtime stories. Folding down the rail is also easy. It has a two-hand release design.
The assembly is also effortless. With its-stress free installation, you won’t need any tool before the bed rail is ready. The manufacturer also provides comprehensive instructions on how you can install the rail.
For the safety of the users, it is also worth mentioning that it passes federal standards. Plus, the materials used in the rail do not contain phthalates and BPA.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a 100% lifetime guarantee of satisfaction, which is a good reason to pick this product.
#6 ComfyBumpy Toddler Bed Rail Guard
This is a triple-safe bed rail, which the manufacturer claims to be the only one of its kind, providing you with a compelling reason to buy this product. You can attach it on the side of the bed using Velcro, straps, and screws, making sure that it attaches securely to protect your baby from accidentally falling.
The universal design of the rail is also a plus. Whether you have a king, queen, twin, or double bed, this model will be compatible.
It is also effortless in terms of installation. There is a five-minute video that explains how you can easily finish its assembly. Swinging down the rail is also effortless. You can do this simply by pulling down the latch.
The flat iron bars in the frame are also impressive. Kids won’t feel the bars under the mattress, making it great when it comes to comfort.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a one-year warranty. Meanwhile, within 30 days of purchase, if you are unhappy in any way with its use, all that you need to do is to get in touch with the manufacturer and they will issue a full refund.
#7 Dream On Me Mesh Security Rail
This is one of the most affordable from the products that are listed in this post, so this is a great pick for those who are looking for a budget-friendly alternative. Despite the price, however, you can be confident that it does not compromise quality.
With the reinforced anchor system of this bed rail, it attaches tightly on the side of the bed. It has a stabilizer bar to make sure that it maintains the position on the side of the bed despite the movements that the user will make.
It is also great in terms of comfort. There is a mesh screen, which is great in terms of ventilation.
The portability of the bed rail is also good. It is made using lightweight materials, making it travel-ready.
#8 Summer Infant Double Safety Bed Rail
One of the best things that you will love in this product is its double-sided design. This is unlike most of its competitors that protect toddlers only from one side of the bed. It is ideal for both twin and queen mattresses, as well as platform beds. One side is fixed while you can fold the other side, which will give you easy access to the bed.
Many of its users have words of praises with regards to its ease of set-up, even if the rail covers two sides. You can also take it down easily.
Like most of the top-rated options for toddler bed rails, you can also be confident that there is no gap between the rail and the side of the bed, which will keep your kid safe.
For your peace of mind, it is also good to know that it meets international standards of quality. It meets current ASTM F2085 standards for toddler bed rails.
#9 Safety 1st Top of Mattress Bed Rail
The design of this bed rail allows it to secure on the top of the mattress, preventing any dangerous gap where your child can fall while sleeping. Whether the mattress is queen, full, or twin, this rail comes handy.
One of the distinct features of this product is the Secure Tech indicator. This allows parents to easily know that the rail is safely attached on the side of the bed.
For the assembly of the rail, the manufacturer states that you can easily do so within three minutes and without using any tool.
The length of this bed rail is 36 inches while the height is 8 inches. This can be quite short for older users, so be sure to take the height of your toddler into consideration.
#10 Baby Elf Bed Rails for Toddler
This isn’t as popular as the other products that are included in our list, but this should not give you a reason to not have it on your radar. One of the things that we like in this product is the ventilated mesh cover, which is a good way to ensure air circulation for the comfort of the user.
Installing and folding this bed rail will be effortless on your part. With the unique design of this product, all that you have to do is to push the two buttons on both sides and the frame automatically unfolds.
The length of this bed rail is 47 inches and the height is 17 inches.
Types of Toddler Bed Rails
It is important to be familiar with the types of bed rails that are available to help you pick the right one. Below are some of your choices:
- Fixed Bed Rails: This is the most common. As the name implies, the rail is in a permanent position. It is directly connected to the side of the bed. It is installed under the mattress. Mesh is a common material of choice.
- Swing-Down Rails: It is usually a combination of mesh and metal. The bottom part is in a fixed position. Meanwhile, you can swing or fold the rail itself. This is a great choice because of versatility.
- Bed Bumper: Technically, this is a different product category. Nonetheless, some parents opt for bumpers instead of rails. It is a large bolster pillow that takes the place of the rail.
How to Choose the Best Toddler Bed Rails
With too many options available on the market, below are some considerations that will make it easy for you to narrow down your list.
- Size: The right size of the rail depends on the size of the bed and the toddler. If the rail is smaller, this might be ineffective in providing the protection that the kid needs against falls. Take note of the length, width, and height of the mattress or bed to find the right rail.
- Compatibility: See to it that the rail is compatible with the bed, especially its base. The base can be a steel frame, flat top, or box frame, among others. See to it that you can connect the rail to the bed securely.
- Ease of Use: It is also important to choose a bed rail that is user-friendly. Most of the products included in our list above are effortless to assemble. As noted by the manufacturer, you can assemble these rails within three to five minutes and without requiring any tool. It is also important that you can fold it easily, in case you are choosing a swing-down rail.
- Comfort: You also have to consider the comfort of the toddler when using the bed rail. A good option is one that comes with a mesh fabric, which will ensure air circulation to keep the user warm. There should also be no protruding parts and the metal bar should sit flat on the bottom of the mattress so that the toddler won’t feel it.
- Care and Maintenance: To make the bed rail functional through the years, it is also important that it is easy to clean and maintain. This is also crucial to make it hygienic.
- Certifications: For your peace of mind, pick a bed rail that is certified by reputable organizations, such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission, American Society for Testing and Materials, and Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association. The bed rail must pass independent tests to ensure its highest quality.
- Warranty: The standard warranty that most manufacturers offer is one year, although, there are some companies offer a longer coverage.
Before we end this buying guide, allow us to answer a few of the questions you might have about toddler bed rails.
What is a Toddler Bed Rail?
This is a rail that attaches to the side of the bed. It is usually made of a soft and breathable material, such as mesh. The idea behind the rail is to provide a guard that stops children from falling on their bed as they roll over when they are in the middle of their sleep.
What Age Do You Use Bed Rails?
As soon as your child transitions from crib to bed, a toddler bed rail is a must-have. When your child starts sleeping on his or her bed, this is the time to invest in a bed rail. For most parents, they use it when their kids are two to five years old.
Are Toddler Bed Rails Safe?
While their main purpose is to promote a safe sleep amongst kids, some issues are hounding the use of bed rails, which is why some parents might have hesitations. Children can get stuck in the gap between the bed or mattress in the rail. Most modern products have been designed in such a way that this problem is resolved, so there is no need to worry about safety.
The best toddler bed rail is a must-have! Even if they are no longer fragile babies, toddlers can still easily fall off their bed when they are sleeping. This can cause serious injury. To avoid this from happening, consider our top recommendations above.
Have you ever purchased a bed rail for your toddler? Is there any other product you would like to recommend? Do not hesitate to leave a comment below.