Your body will experience a lot of changes during pregnancy. The most obvious is perhaps the growth of your belly, which will make you gain weight and look bloated. There can also be changes in the skin, which could be a result of hormonal changes. Another thing that will happen is that your feet will be larger than the normal size. It will look swollen. To stay comfortable, you need to wear the best sandals for pregnancy.
With the right sandals, there is a lesser likelihood that you will complain of discomfort and pain, especially during a hot day. It can also make you look stylish! If you have no idea on which sandals will make the best option, keep on reading and we’ll share with you some of the favorites of our team.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Sandals for Pregnancy
- Vionic Women’s Rest Bellall Toepost Sandal
- Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed Birko-Flor Sandal
- Dream Pairs Medinie Women Rhinestone Casual Wear Cut Out Flat Sandals
- Croc’s Women’s Swiftwater Sandal
- Treva Women’s Verra Sandal
- Fit Flop Electra Classic Sequin Flip-Flop Sandal
- Ipanema Women’s Ellie Flat Sandal
- Orthaheel Women’s Tide Thong Sandals
- SANDALUP Women’s Claire Thong Flat Sandals with Buckle
- Why Your Foot Swell During Pregnancy?
- Benefits of Wearing Sandals During Pregnancy
- Choosing the Best Sandals for Pregnancy
- Taking Care of your Feet During Pregnancy
Our Top Picks for the Best Sandals for Pregnancy
Here are some of the best sandals that should be part of your list, as well as some of the reasons why they can indeed prove to be great picks.
Vionic Women’s Rest Bellall Toepost Sandal
The simplicity of this footwear will captivate your attention. Unlike other sandals with a flat sole, this one is curved in the middle. Despite not being flat, it is still safe to be used during pregnancy because of its low-profile design. It has gore on both sides that will easily adjust based on the size of the foot, especially when it is swollen. The straps are made of leather with a simple ribbon in the front. The insole is cork and latex, which will cradle the foot to make you feel comfortable when it is worn.
Birkenstock Arizona Soft Footbed Birko-Flor Sandal
Walking when you are pregnant will not be too much of a chore if you are wearing this pair. The two straps may seem like they constrict the feet, but they are actually comfortable. The best thing is that the straps are adjustable, which will allow you to have it customized depending on what you personally find to be most comfortable. To make it even more perfect for pregnant women, it makes use of a material known as Birko-flor, a synthetic upper with a leather finish and a soft back that won’t cause friction or irritation on the skin. The cork footbed has a contoured design that will follow the shape of the foot, allowing it to provide personalized comfort.
Dream Pairs Medinie Women Rhinestone Casual Wear Cut Out Flat Sandals
This pair has almost all the pre-requisites that are needed for maternity sandals. For instance, it is flat and it also leaves a big part of the feet open, which will be great in making you feel relaxed. If it is closed or tight, your swollen feet will be uncomfortable. It has a convenient T-strap that leaves a big part of the foot open. There is a buckle strap on the side that will offer several adjustments to be sure that it will perfectly fit even during the last trimester of your pregnancy. The soft fabric insole is also worth noting, which is one of the reasons why it is comfortable.
Croc’s Women’s Swiftwater Sandal
Some of you might have second thoughts in choosing this maternity sandal because it does not come with an adjustable strap. Nonetheless, there is no need for you to be worried. The straps are soft and flexible, which is why they can accommodate your swollen feet as a result of pregnancy. The outsoles have flex grooves, which will deliver enhanced traction. This will minimize the possibility that you will end up slipping. It provides the iconic comfort that Crocs has been known for through the years.
Treva Women’s Verra Sandal
If you want a sporty look for your sandals, you might want to take a look at this one. It is for those who love the outdoors and who like to become active even when they are carrying a baby in their womb. It is also water-ready, which is why it is great for some fun under the sun. There is a hook-and-loop adjustment, which will allow you to easily loosen the straps if your foot is being bigger during your pregnancy. It is also worth noting that it has the Microban technology. This is an innovative zinc-based treatment that provides the footwear with anti-bacterial benefits. Lastly, there is a cushioned Shoc Pad, which will be instrumental to your highest level of comfort.
Fit Flop Electra Classic Sequin Flip-Flop Sandal
This is the perfect choice for fashion-forward women who are unwilling to compromise their sense of style even during pregnancy. It is quite higher compared to most sandals mentioned above, but there is no need to worry about safety since it is flat and it will be easy for you to walk. While the straps are non-adjustable, the sandal is roomy enough even when you have swollen feet. It has a built-in arch counter and a wobble board insole, which are both primary reasons why the footwear is comfortable.
Ipanema Women’s Ellie Flat Sandal
By now, you should know that one of the most important for maternity sandal is to have plenty of space that is open for the foot to breathe. This is one area where this sandal excels. It only has minimal straps and it leaves most part of the foot exposed. The strap can also be adjusted so that it can accommodate your swelling foot. This T-strap sandal has a rubber sole that is comfortable and does not cause too much pressure on the foot, even when standing or walking for an extended period.
Orthaheel Women’s Tide Thong Sandals
Even if it does not come with adjustable straps, it is still one of the best picks for pregnancy sandals. This is especially great if you are walking on soft surfaces, such as soil or sand. It will help in the natural realignment of your swollen feet. It is also breathable since it is open in most parts. For people with overpronation, this is also excellent because of the heel support that it can provide. The padded upper liner is also great since it will not be annoying when it rubs on the skin.
SANDALUP Women’s Claire Thong Flat Sandals with Buckle
With the adjustable buckle that comes with this sandal, you will have the freedom to have it tightened or loosened depending on what is most comfortable for your feet. It is a T-strap or thong sandal that leaves most part of the foot open, which is why you will surely feel comfortable. It is airy and roomy. It has a smooth and flat footbed, which is why it is also important to note that it does not offer any type of arch support. This is not for pregnant women with a flat foot.
Why Your Foot Swell During Pregnancy?
One thing that you will notice during pregnancy is that your foot is larger than the usual. It looks bloated, as if it swallowed a lot of water. There is no need to worry. A swollen foot does not pose any harm. It is a normal occurrence during pregnancy.
According to the American Pregnancy Association, this is due to a condition called edema. It leads not only to swelling of the foot, but also of the hands, ankles, face, and legs. This can be attributed to the fact that the body’s production of blood and fluids increase by as much as 50% during pregnancy, which explains the swelling. The extra fluid is also responsible for the weight gain that is experienced during pregnancy.
While you will have swollen feet at almost any point during the pregnancy, in most cases, it starts on the fifth month. During the third trimester, there are other factors that can make the swelling worse, which include heat, diet, and standing for an extended period.
Benefits of Wearing Sandals During Pregnancy
While there are many types of footwear for pregnancy, you are probably wondering why sandals are amongst the most popular. Here are some of the reasons why a lot of women prefer wearing sandals over closed shoes:
- They are Breathable: Like flip flops, sandals leave your foot open and hence, it allows air circulation. Since it is breathable, this will have a positive impact on your comfort.
- They Offer Adjustments: Most of the sandals that have been listed above come with adjustable straps, which can be loosened to accommodate your swollen feet. Some are non-adjustable, but they are flexible enough to make sure that your foot won’t hurt.
- They are Stylish: A lot of sandals look fashionable, although this will depend on the specific product that you intend to purchase.
- They Have Low Heels: Maternity sandals have low heels, with some even being flat and slim. This is important for your safety and to prevent tipping.
Choosing the Best Sandals for Pregnancy
As you try to come up with the right decision, these are some of the most important things that you have to take into consideration:
- Size: It will be good if you have the opportunity to physically try the sandals before purchasing it. Most pregnant women go half or one size higher compared to their regular size because their feet can get bigger as a result of swelling.
- Adjustability: Because your feet will be swollen, it will also be good to choose sandals that offer several adjustments. The straps should be adjustable so that you can tighten or loosen the fit depending on what your foot needs.
- Arch Support: This is especially important if you have a flat foot. If you will wear the sandals for an extended period, you need to have the right arch support as it will be instrumental to your comfort. In the same way, you will need heel cushioning.
- Traction: Your safety is a paramount concern when shopping for pregnancy sandals. Therefore, you will need to find one that has an excellent traction to have an assurance that you will not end up slipping.
- Heels: For pregnancy footwear, you should look for one that comes with low heels. Flat sandals are recommended for the obvious reason – your safety. If the heel is too high, you might end up tipping.
- Style: Even when you are pregnant, this does not mean that you do not have to make a fashion statement. Choose stylish sandals that will be appropriate for the location where you will wear them.
Taking Care of your Feet During Pregnancy
While it certainly helps to wear the best sandals for pregnancy, here are other things that you can do to be able to take care of your feet:
- Avoid standing all day or for an extended period. If you are still working and it requires you to stand a lot, take a break. Sit down, stretch, and move. This will prevent cramps and discomfort. It will also be a good way to prevent the appearance of varicose veins.
- It will also be good to sleep on your side. More than just feeling more comfortable, it is also proven to be effective in the reduction of swelling.
- Do not wear socks or stockings. Your feet need to breathe. If you are wearing socks, they will be constricted. This could also limit blood flow and will make the swelling problem worse.
- Drinking the right amount of water will also be good. This will effective in reducing the amount of sodium in the body. Too much sodium can lead to swelling, which is why you need to flush it out.
- During pregnancy, aside from swelling, the skin on the feet can also dry and can lead to cracked heels. This can be unsightly. The best way to address this is through exfoliation and moisturizing. Regularly massaging the feet will also be good.
Invest in the best sandals for pregnancy to be comfortable when you are walking outside. Whether it is at the park, mall, beach, or anywhere else, the right sandals can make a lot of difference. It should not only be stylish but should be breathable and must be able to accommodate your bloated feet.