Pregnancy is never a guessing game. It is either a YES or a NO. The answer cannot be MAYBE. That being said, there is only one way to find out – to use a pregnancy test. This can give you a definite answer and a peace of mind.
There are tons of pregnancy tests that are available on the market, including those that you can find being sold over-the-counter. Which one is the best? If you want to know the answer, read on and we’ll list down some of the top options that should definitely be a part of your list.
- Types of Pregnancy Test
- Performing a Pregnancy Test at Home
- The Right Time to Perform a Pregnancy Test
- Our Top Picks for the Best Pregnancy Test
- First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test
- Clear Blue Digital Pregnancy Test with Smart Countdown
- Clearblue Plus Pregnancy Test
- ClinicalGuard HCG Pregnancy Test Strips
- Easy@Home Pregnancy Test Stick
- Veratrue Early Result Pregnancy Test
- E.P.T. Early Pregnancy Test
- AccuMed Pregnancy Test Strips
- PREGMATE Pregnancy HCG Test Strips
- ChoiceMed HCG Pregnancy Test Strips
Types of Pregnancy Test
Before we proceed in this buying guide, let us have a quick look at the types that are available. It is up to you to decide which one you find to be the most convenient.Take note, however, that for the purpose of this article, we will be talking only about the tests that can be administered by yourself in the comfort of your own place.
Pregnancy Test Stick
As the name implies, this comes in the form of a stick. It has a plastic case. At the end of the stick, there is a strip where urine will be placed and analyzed. You can pee directly on that end or you can dip it in a cup, depending on which one is most convenient. Reading the results can vary depending on the manufacturer of the stick that you are using.
Pregnancy Test Strip
This is considered to be a more budget-friendly alternative, but a lot of people stay away from this with fears that the results will end up being inaccurate. The strips will need to be dipped in a cup with the urine sample. The color will change depending on whether the result is positive or negative. The good thing about strips is that it is easy to repeat the tests as each box usually comes with 20 to 25 strips.
Performing a Pregnancy Test at Home
The steps will vary depending on the product that you are using. If you are using a stick, here are the steps to follow:
- Take a sample of the urine. In some sticks, you will have to urinate directly on one portion of the stick. Some might require a specific time, such as five minutes. Be sure to have it timed.
- In other instances, you will have to pee directly in a cup. Once urine has been collected, you have to dip the end of the stick with the portion that carries out the test.
- There are also sticks wherein there is a dropper. On this case, you will have to obtain a sample from urine in a cup and put a drop in the stick.
- Wait for five to ten minutes and read the results. Some might have a plus or minus sign to indicate that you are pregnant. Others might have one or two lines. There are also sticks that will change colors.
On the other hand, if you are using pregnancy test strips, here are the things that you need to do:
- Urinate in a clean cup or container. In some products, there are already disposable cups that are included. Fill it depending on the amount that the manufacturer recommends.
- Open the testing device and dip it in the urine.
- Lay the strip on a flat surface or hold it on your hand. Wait until the results are shown.
- In the case of most strips, there will be a change in color to indicate whether you are pregnant or not.
The Right Time to Perform a Pregnancy Test
The first thing that you have to do is to pay attention to the signs and symptoms that you are pregnant, including the following:
- If you missed your period, this is one of the indications that you already have to take a pregnancy test. For most women, their menstrual cycle is normally 28 days. Factors such as stress and diet, however, can cause delays.
- When you are experiencing cramps, you might also want to take the test. This can be a result of the changes in your hormone.
- During pregnancy, the body will produce more estrogen and progesterone. With this, pay attention to pain in your breasts. If it feels bigger and tender, this can be because of the increased blood flow, one of the things that can happen when you are already pregnant.
- When you are feeling different, take this as a sign as well that you need to take a pregnancy test. If you are experiencing morning sickness or when you are feeling nauseous all the time, you might be pregnant.
When your period is already late and when you are experiencing any of the things that have been mentioned above, take a pregnancy test so that you won’t be bothered! You can avoid sleepless nights by having the answer that you are looking for. According to Mayo Clinic, the best time to take the test is one day after missing your period. You might also want to wait after seven days, as the HCG, the pregnancy hormone detected in urine, may take quite a while to show up.
As soon as you are able to confirm that you are pregnant, the next thing to do is to consult with a healthcare professional as soon as possible. This will ensure that the baby in the tummy will be healthy early on.
Our Top Picks for the Best Pregnancy Test
If you are finding it hard to decide which one to buy, here is a list of the ten alternatives that are worth considering.
First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test
Even if you go online and search for recommendations, this is one product that will always be mentioned as amongst the best. Among others, its popularity is because of its 99% accuracy and the fact that it will allow you to detect pregnancy up to six days sooner.
One of the reasons for the accuracy of this product is its ability to detect four of the pregnancy hormones that are present in the urine.
The design is another asset of this pregnancy test. It is contoured, making it easy to hold. There is also a large window that will allow you to easily see the result.
Clear Blue Digital Pregnancy Test with Smart Countdown
The Smart Countdown is the defining feature of this pregnancy test as it is the only one with such. This simply creates a countdown until the result is revealed. Perhaps, it can add up to the excitement of knowing whether you are pregnant or not!
It also comes with a no-mess design, which is one thing that you will surely appreciate. It is made of an absorbent wick. It also comes with a flood guard, which will minimize the possibilities of false readings.
With this kit, you will be able to test up to five days sooner compared to other brands. Plus, it also delivers over 99% of accuracy.
Clearblue Plus Pregnancy Test
This is from the same manufacturer as the product that has been mentioned above, but the difference is that it is not digital. It does not come with a countdown timer. Nonetheless, you can be confident that the results will still be fool-proof as its accuracy is also over 99%.
It comes with a color-changing tip that is 50% wider compared to the leading competitors. This makes it easier to apply urine and to be sure that you already have enough sample for the test to be done.
The flood guard feature is also a good thing, minimizing the likelihood of an error.
ClinicalGuard HCG Pregnancy Test Strips
If you ware looking for something that is budget-friendly without compromising the accuracy of the results, this is one option you have to consider. Each test strip has a sensitivity of 25 mIU, providing you with the confidence that the results will be always right.
Reading the results will also be simple, making it a user-friendly option. When it is negative, you will see one color in the Control Zone while the Test Zone will show no color. On the other hand, if it is positive, two color bands will appear in both zones.
Easy@Home Pregnancy Test Stick
This is an FDA-approved product and can deliver an accuracy rate of 99%. It will detect the presence of HCG in urine, which is the hormone that determines pregnancy at an early stage.
Being user-friendly is one of the reasons why this is a popular choice. There is no need to use a cup. It is easy to handle. Plus, you can record the result through a mobile app called Pre-mom. Here, you will be able to see the progression of the test lines.
Veratrue Early Result Pregnancy Test
This is another product that is FDA-approved promising an accuracy rate of over 99%. Plus, as the manufacturer states, you will be able to test as much as five days earlier. In as short as five minutes, you will already know the result!
This specific product is inclusive of 25 strips, each with an individual seal. If you are unsatisfied with the first test, you can use another strip to test again until the point that you are finally convinced. There are also 25 urine collection cups included in the package.
E.P.T. Early Pregnancy Test
This is made by a brand that has been in the business since 1977, which is why you can be confident about its quality. Plus, it also claims that the accuracy that it can deliver is 99%.
The results are also easy to read, making this a user-friendly alternative. There is no need to be left guessing. Within a few minutes, you will already know the answer to your question.
AccuMed Pregnancy Test Strips
This product is inclusive of 25 strips, which will allow you to test several times until you fully convince yourself that the results are right. It is also approved by the FDA and promises to deliver an accuracy of over 99%.
Five days after missing your period, you can already use the strips to predict your pregnancy. You also do not need too much urine sample to get started. Just a small concentration of HCG in the urine can already be detected in an instant.
PREGMATE Pregnancy HCG Test Strips
If accuracy and reliability are what you are looking for in a pregnancy test, this is one product that you should definitely not ignore. Five days after your missed period, this will already be able to detect the presence of the pregnancy hormone in your urine. It is also worth noting that it is able to deliver an accuracy rate of 99.8%.
This set is already inclusive of 25 strips. Each strip comes with an individual seal, which will protect it from external elements that can possibly lead to false results.
ChoiceMed HCG Pregnancy Test Strips
Each pack comes with 20 strips. Each strip can deliver a high-level of accuracy. It is the same strips that are used in laboratory tests, providing you with an assurance that the results will be right. It is FDA-approved and the accuracy rate is over 99%, which is one thing that is common in the products that have been mentioned in this guide.
The sensitivity of the strips is one of its assets. This means that even at an early stage, pregnancy can already be detected. With a small presence of HCG in the urine, you will already know whether you are pregnant or not.
Worried that you are pregnant? Why would you be left bothered if you can know the answer right now? The easiest thing to do is to buy any of the pregnancy test kits mentioned above. It takes only a few minutes before you will finally know the results. All that you have to do is to make sure that the product is trustworthy so that you won’t be fooled!