Sleeping can be more difficult when you are pregnant. With all the hormonal changes and the additional weight on the body, it might be a bit of a challenge to hit the sack.
If you are pregnant and if you want to sleep better, read on! We’ll take a look at some of the top-rated options for the best mattress for pregnancy! Say goodbye to anxiety, nausea, sleeplessness, leg pain, backaches, and cramps, among other things that can happen when you sleep on the wrong mattress.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Mattress for Pregnancy
- Tuft and Needle Queen Mattress
- Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress
- Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Gel Memory Foam Pillow
- Lucid 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Queen Mattress Sweet Night 12-inch Gel Memory Foam
- Sleep Innovations Shiloh Memory Foam Mattress
- Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam Mattress
- Olee Sleep 10-inch Gel-Infused Layer Top Memory Foam Mattress
- Comfort and Relax Memory Foam Mattress
- Leesa Mattress
- The Difficulty of Sleeping During Pregnancy
- What to Look for in a Mattress
- Importance of Sleeping on the Right Pregnancy Mattress
- How to Have a Comfortable Sleep During Pregnancy
Our Top Picks for the Best Mattress for Pregnancy
Clueless about the top product to choose? Below, we list down some of the options that should be on your list!
Tuft and Needle Queen Mattress
While this is not made of memory foam, it is an excellent choice for pregnant women. It is made using an adaptive foam, which is bouncy and supportive. Regardless of your sleeping position, this will not put your pregnancy at risk in any way. It does not sink and get hot. Rather, it regulates the temperature of the body, which is important to keep you cool during sleep. The manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial, which can provide you with the assurance that the quality will be second to none.
Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress
The unique construction of this mattress is one of the reasons why we have included it on our list. It comes with a 3.5-inch gel memory foam, which will provide proper spinal alignment and pressure relief, both of which will be vital for pregnant women. As a bonus, the cover comes with a zippered cover, which is made of natural New Zealand wool lining that effectively wicks away moisture. Meanwhile, to add to the comfort that it provides, there is also a 2-inch ventilated zone that optimizes the airflow. Lastly, the 25-year warranty that is offered by the manufacturer is pretty hard to match.
Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Gel Memory Foam Pillow
Similar to the product that has been mentioned above, it also comes with a gel memory foam for comfort and support during pregnancy. On the top, there is a 2-inch gel foam, followed by a 2-inch memory foam, 2-inch soft comfort foam, and 8-inch high-density poly-base foam. Because it is gel-infused, it is not only cool but also plush despite having a medium level of firmness. To provide added value, the product comes with a free shredded memory foam pillow. There is a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Lucid 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
If you are now convinced that gel memory foam is indeed an excellent material of choice, do not forget to also include this on your list of choices. There are two layers of mattresses – a 2.5-inch ventilated memory foam with gel infusion and a 7.7-inch base that is made of a high-density foam. It is able to regulate the pressure points of the body while also maintaining a comfortable temperature throughout your sleep. Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a 10-year warranty for the mattress.
Queen Mattress Sweet Night 12-inch Gel Memory Foam
This medium-firm mattress is sure to redefine the way you sleep during the pregnancy. It has a three-layer foam that can solve your sleep problems. It has a 3-inch gel memory foam, 3.5-inch air-flow open-cell comfort foam, and 5.5-inch supportive high-density foam. When combined, it provides a 12-inch plush sleeping surface that will allow you to bid goodbye to body pains! It is also worth noting that the foam is hypoallergenic, making it great for the health of pregnant women. It has a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Sleep Innovations Shiloh Memory Foam Mattress
This product comes with a 12-inch memory foam and is specially designed for bigger and heavier people, which is exactly the reason why it suits those who are pregnant. It has a tailored cushioning to guarantee your highest level of comfort from the head to the toe. Meanwhile, with the innovative Duo Comfort design, it has a different top and bottom layers to provide comfort and support. Still have hesitations? You may no longer have doubts after learning about the 20-year warranty that the company extends.
Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam Mattress
Get a refreshing sleep with this memory foam mattress, which will follow the shape of your body. This means that you will never feel the pressure on your belly, especially if you are sleeping on your side. The mattress has a 2-inch memory foam, 2-inch comfort foam for the relief of pressure, and 4-inch high-density base. To be specific, the memory foam used in this mattress has an innovation known as BioFoam. Basically, it is a foam that contains natural plant oils for being able to maintain its freshness.
Olee Sleep 10-inch Gel-Infused Layer Top Memory Foam Mattress
Using this medium firm mattress will provide the support and comfort that will be needed by pregnant women regardless of the sleeping position. With the gel infusion, it effectively regulates the temperature of the body while having a plush surface for you to sleep on. There is also no need to worry about the quality as the manufacturer is offering a warranty that lasts for ten years. Plus, there is a base layer made of high-density foam that is guaranteed to withstand the test of time, allowing it to provide the best value for the money.
Comfort and Relax Memory Foam Mattress
On the top of this mattress, there is a 1.5-inch ventilated gel memory foam with the revolutionary Air Cell Technology for better comfort and pressure relief. The bottom, on the other hand, has a 4.5-inch polyurethane supportive base foam. Still unconvinced to choose this product? You might have a change of mind after knowing that it has a 180-night risk-free trial and a warranty that lasts for ten years, which is pretty much the standard within the product category.
With three foam layers, this is another mattress that can keep you cool when you sleep. It has a body contouring surface, which makes it great for keeping your bump comfortable. One of the best features of this mattress is the motion isolation, which is great if a pregnant woman is sleeping with her husband. This means that movements on the other side will be hardly noticeable, especially if you purchase the biggest size that is available. It is also good to know that the manufacturer offers a 100-night trial.
The Difficulty of Sleeping During Pregnancy
Below are some of the most common reasons why a lot of pregnant women are having a hard time sleeping:
- Need to Pee Frequently: The growth of the uterus causes the bladder to shrink, thereby lessening its capacity. Also, with the increased blood volume, your kidneys will be more at work. This will lead to the production of more urine, making you pee more often.
- Ballooning Belly: The discomfort of the growing size of the belly can also cause difficulty when sleeping. Often, the added weight may cause pressure and can make it harder to toss and turn. This can even lead to leg cramps and backaches.
- Shortness of Breath: With the increasing pregnancy hormones, shortness of breath can happen during bedtime and make things more difficult. The larger uterus will take up more space of the body, making it harder for you to breathe.
- Increased Heart Rate: The heart will also be working harder in order to supply the blood that is needed by the body.
- Indigestion and Heartburn: When you are pregnant, digestion becomes significantly slower, which can result in an acid reflux.
What to Look for in a Mattress
Yes, there will be plenty of choices on the market. However, this does not mean that you can choose just any product and expect the best quality. To help you out making the right decision, take note of these things:
- Material: This is important because it directly impacts the comfort and durability of the mattress. Among others, memory foam is one of the most popular, including those that are infused with gel. This material conforms to the shape of the body, providing a customized comfort to its users.
- Firmness: Ideally, you should buy a mattress that is medium firm. If it is too firm, your body can end up being painful in the morning. On the other hand, when it is too soft, you can shrink and feel suffocated.
- Temperature: It is also necessary to choose a mattress that effectively regulates the body, which is exactly the reason why gel memory foam is popular. If the bed is too hot, you will not be comfortable in your sleep. It will be good if the mattress can absorb body heat, so you will feel cooler.
- Motion Isolation: Especially if you are sleeping with your husband, this is an important feature so that you cannot feel the movements of the bed when someone changes position when sleeping.
- Noise: Even the slightest noise can be annoying when sleeping, especially when you are pregnant. Choose a mattress that does not create a noise. Avoid those with internal components, such as an innerspring.
- Warranty: Most of the products mentioned in this post come with a 10 to 25-year warranty, which is important if you want to have peace of mind.
Importance of Sleeping on the Right Pregnancy Mattress
Your mornings will change during your pregnancy. Among others, you might find yourself often complaining of back pain or sleeplessness. With this, we are listing down some of the best reasons to invest in a high-quality mattress while carrying a baby in your womb.
- If you use the wrong mattress, you will most probably wake up with an aching back or a stiff neck, among other body pains that can be caused by not having a mattress that provides pressure relief.
- Sleeping on an inferior mattress will also lead to insomnia and sleeplessness. When you lack sleep, your health can be compromised, as well as that of your baby’s.
- Your comfort is also an important reason why using the right mattress is necessary. If you are not comfortable, you will have a hard time sleeping.
How to Have a Comfortable Sleep During Pregnancy
While using a pregnancy mattress can help, this is not the only thing that you can do. Below, we will quickly look at some of the things that will ensure better sleep regardless of the position of the body.
- The best thing that you can do is to sleep in the right position, one where you will feel most comfortable at. According to the American Pregnancy Association, the best sleeping position is on the side. To be more specific, it would be best to sleep on the left side as this can ensure better delivery of nutrients and blood to the placenta.
- Aside from the mattress, the right choice of pillows will also be critical during pregnancy. Putting a pillow under the belly will be good for supporting the back and the hips. Do not use pillows that are too low or too high on the head.
- It will also be good to have a relaxing routine before bedtime. This will help to calm the senses, putting you to sleep quicker. You can read a book, take a relaxing bath, or play a soothing music. Avoid doing anything strenuous before bedtime.
- Limit the beverages that you consume before hitting the sack. As much as possible, do not drink at least two hours before bedtime as this could mean frequent trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Caffeine is to be avoided as well as it can give you a hard time sleeping.
A good sleep is one thing that all pregnant women need to have. Fortunately, this is easy with the mattresses that have been mentioned above. The best mattress can make a huge difference when it comes to comfort, making sure that you will wake up without complaining of a sore back or an aching body!