Although being able to bear a child is one of the greatest gifts of being a woman, there is also no denying that it is a challenging phase in your life. This is the point when you undergo a lot of changes. Many of these changes can result in lowered self-esteem, especially as you gain weight. Also, many women experience excessive sweating, especially during the first trimester of the pregnancy. With the latter, the simplest solution is to use the best deodorant for pregnancy.
Not all deodorants, however, will deliver the same results, especially if they will be used during pregnancy. They also differ in terms of the ingredients used, making it more important to be meticulous when making a decision. With this, keep on reading and we will help you to come up with the right choice on what to choose.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Deodorant for Pregnancy
- All About Pregnancy and Sweating
- Ingredients to Avoid in a Deodorant for Pregnancy
- Safe Ingredients to Look for in Deodorant
Our Top Picks for the Best Deodorant for Pregnancy
Here, we will have a quick look at some of the top products that should be on your radar to manage underarm sweating and prevent body odor during pregnancy.
Green Tidings All-Natural Deodorant
If you want to use a deodorant that is safe for pregnancy, you should look for words like natural and organic, which are exactly the reasons why this product is perfect. It is also vegan and non-toxic. In terms of the harsh ingredients, it should also be pointed out that it does not contain propylene glycol, parabens, aluminum, silicone, menthol, and artificial fragrances. It was even made in a US-based facility that is solar-powered. The natural ingredients used include tapioca starch, coconut oil, shea butter, and organic lavender oil.
Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant
Pure, natural, and vegan – this is what you can expect from this another top-rated deodorant that can be used by pregnant women. It provides strong protection against sweat and body odor while making sure that it does not contain phthalates, parabens, aluminum chlorohydrate or zirconium, and baking soda. Instead, it uses naturally-derived ingredients, which include seaweed extract, natural mineral salt, coconut oil, aloe vera gel, and sandalwood essential oil, among others.
Crystal Mineral Deodorant Stick
You do not need to worry about anything with the use of this deodorant as it is formulated without the use of aluminum, parabens, and artificial fragrances. It is also vegan, cruelty-free, and has never been tested in animals. The deodorant has been tested even by dermatologists, which should already provide you with peace of mind when it comes to safety.
Underarmed Natural Aluminum-Free Deodorant Stick
Perhaps, the biggest selling point of this deodorant is that it does not contain aluminum, which is exactly the reason why it is good to use even during pregnancy. It utilizes a safe and effective formula to keep your underarms dry throughout the day and prevent it from having a foul smell. This is done without using harsh chemicals. Rather, it uses lavender and eucalyptus, which also provides a subtle but refreshing scent. The manufacturer also provides a 30-day money-back guarantee to provide you with peace of mind.
MagSol Organics Magnesium Deodorant
Magnesium is the main ingredient that is utilized in this pregnancy-safe deodorant, which is known to be an excellent alternative to aluminum. It can nourish the skin and neutralize the odor while relying on 100% natural and pure ingredients. It also has a smooth gliding formula, which will make the application a snap. Plus, it is known to not irritate the skin. It has non-comedogenic ingredients, which will not block the pores of the skin.
Little Seed Farm Natural Deodorant Cream
This is another deodorant that is free of aluminum and baking soda, making it a good option if you are looking for a product that will work safely during pregnancy. It has a special formula that effectively blocks odor within 24 hours without relying on harsh fragrances and toxic chemicals. It uses activated charcoal, which is the alternative to baking soda. It is also cruelty-free and GMO-free, making it good not only for you but for the environment as well.
Organic Island Sensitive Deodorant
For pregnant women who have a sensitive skin, this is one deodorant that can deliver exceptional results, especially because it does not contain aluminum and baking soda. Instead, it uses a safer alternative in the form of magnesium. It also has vegan probiotics, which are the ones that make it effective when it comes to controlling odor. Lastly, if you are unhappy with this product, just let the manufacturer know and they will provide an unconditional refund.
Pacifica Beauty Underarm Deodorant Wipes
This is different from the deodorants that have been mentioned above in the sense that it exists in the form of wipes. Nonetheless, it should be noted that it is equally effective in being protected from sweat and odor. It is also 100% natural. Instead of using toxic chemicals, its main ingredients are coconut milk and essential oils. It also has witch hazel and shea butter, providing an assurance that your underarms will be smelling fresh throughout the day.
All About Pregnancy and Sweating
It is common for pregnant women to experience sweating that is more excessive compared to the normal. This is basically because of the changes in the hormones and the increase of the body temperature. With this, sweating is a common problem. Night sweats and hot flushes can be experienced. When not managed, it is not only uncomfortable but can also result in body odor.
To prevent excessive sweating, one of the things that you can do is to use the right deodorant, including those that have been mentioned above. Aside from this, however, here are the other things that you can do:
- It would be best to change your wardrobe and make sure that it is appropriate for the season or the weather. Choose light and thin fabrics that will be excellent in terms of ventilation.
- Avoid eating spicy meals as it can also result in excessive sweating.
- Make sure to stay hydrated. While water will be released by the body as sweat, it is needed for you to stay cool.
- Check your medications and consult with a doctor. Some medicines can have side effects, including excessive sweating.
- Manage the indoor temperature and make sure that it is cold but not to the point that you are already shivering and uncomfortable.
Ingredients to Avoid in a Deodorant for Pregnancy
When choosing the best deodorant for pregnancy, one of the first things that you have to do is to check the label and make sure that it does not contain the following ingredients:
- Aluminum: To be specific, you have to avoid those deodorants that contain aluminum-based compounds, such as aluminum chloralhydrate and aluminum zirconium. It acts as a solvent and blocks the glands where sweat comes out. Exposure to aluminum during pregnancy can increase the likelihood of health problems, such as anemia and extreme fatigue.
- Triclosan: This is used in deodorants because of its anti-bacterial benefits. It is chemically stable and helps in increasing the effectiveness of a deodorant. However, it can trigger antibiotic resistance. It can also have a negative impact on the development of the reproductive system of the baby.
- Parabens: Commonly used as preservatives, it is important that you avoid parabens since they have been linked to a number of birth defects.
- Phthalates: It is a chemical that is used to preserve the fragrance in a deodorant. Nonetheless, it can easily penetrate the skin, making it a common cause of concern.
Safe Ingredients to Look for in Deodorant
Now that you know the ones that you have to avoid, here are the ingredients that are safe and effective in managing sweat and preventing odor:
- Coconut Oil: Derived from what is known as the tree of life, it is a mild antibacterial that makes it good to have in a deodorant. Also, it makes the deodorant smoother for easier application.
- Baking Soda: It is a natural mineral that contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. It is effective in the absorption of moisture and odor.
- Essential Oils: Stay away from deodorants with artificial fragrances. Essential oils are great because they provide a natural and refreshing scent to combat body odor. They are also gentle even on delicate skin.
- Shea or Cocoa Butter: They are known as great moisturizers and will be effective in making the deodorant smoother. They also have Vitamins A and E, making it great for the skin.
- Beeswax: Aside from protecting the skin, this also acts as an emollient, making sure that all other ingredients will bind.
- Lemon Juice: Although this might cause an irritation for people with sensitive skin, it is a citric acid that will be effective in warding off bacteria that can cause body odor.
With all the changes that happen to your body during pregnancy, you can expect that you will be sweating more. This could result in body odor unless you use a deodorant. Nonetheless, not all deodorants will work, as many of them contain harsh ingredients. Take note of the options that have been mentioned above to end up with the right choice.