Pregnancy is a difficult time for most women. With your ballooning belly and hormonal changes, there are many things that can happen beyond your control. One of the most serious would be the swelling of the legs. It is not only uncomfortable, but it is also unsightly. It can even be a cause of the appearance of varicose veins. Good thing, there is a way to avoid this – to use the best compression socks for pregnancy.
Compression socks are very tight at the bottom and they slightly loosen on the way up. It lifts the fluids up, which will make it easy for the blood to be pumped back. Not all compression socks, however, will deliver the same outcomes. If you need help in finding the best, keep on reading and we’ll let you know some of the top options to consider.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Compression Socks for Pregnancy
- Dr. Motion Ladies 6-Pair Pack Compression Socks
- Fytto 1020 Women’s Compression Socks
- MadeMother Pregnancy Compression Socks
- BeVisible Sports maternity Compression Socks
- TOFLY Firm Support Opaque Maternity Compression Socks
- Sockwell Women’s Chevron Graduated Compression Socks
- SB Sox Lite Compression Socks
- HLTPRO Compression Socks
- FuelMeFoot Copper Compression Socks for Men and Women
- Blue Maple Compression Socks
- Compression Socks and Pregnancy
- Looking for the Best Compression Socks
- Tips and Tricks to Manage Pregnancy Swelling
Our Top Picks for the Best Compression Socks for Pregnancy
To help you out in making the right decision, here are ten of the compression socks that you might want to include on your list.
Dr. Motion Ladies 6-Pair Pack Compression Socks
This already comes in a pack of six, which allows it to deliver the best value for the money. It has non-binding construction to deliver the highest level of comfort for pregnant women. It also has a comfort band so that it won’t feel restrictive when worn, especially when your legs are already swollen. More so, it has a smooth and seamless top, which will not cause discomfort when it rubs with the skin as you move. With the graduated compression from these socks, you will enjoy improved circulation to get rid of varicose veins and discomfort associated with swelling.
Fytto 1020 Women’s Compression Socks
Made of 75% nylon and 25% spandex, this is another option for compression socks that should be on your radar. With the supportive knitting pattern, this will be effective in easing swelling as a result of your pregnancy. It can also relieve stress and reduce fatigue. Most importantly, it will be effective in the reduction of varicose veins. It has a breathable design, which means that it does not matter even if you wear it the entire day. It is well-ventilated to guarantee your highest level of comfort.
MadeMother Pregnancy Compression Socks
The manufacturer offers 100% satisfaction guarantee, which should be more than enough for you to consider choosing this above all others. If you are unhappy in any way, you can return the socks and you will be issued an unconditional refund. It has a medical-grade compression, promising the best in terms of comfort and support. It stays in its place throughout the day, regardless of your movements. It is also built with the use of premium materials, guaranteeing that it will last more than nine months, and hence, you will be able to use it beyond pregnancy.
BeVisible Sports maternity Compression Socks
These compression socks are made of 76.6% nylon and 23.4% spandex. Based on the specifications from the manufacturer, it has a true graduated compression rating of 20 – 30 mmHg. It has a wide strap that can easily fit in your swollen leg and it also has an anti-slip feature so that it will stay in its place as you move. There is also a free sock aid that will help you to wear it easily. Lastly, you can purchase this product risk-free since you can get a refund if you are unhappy with it.
TOFLY Firm Support Opaque Maternity Compression Socks
The open-toed design is one of its best assets, which will make it more comfortable for the foot. In terms of the materials, it is made of 77% nylon and 23% spandex. The material that is used is also sweat-absorbent and can effectively wick away moisture, making sure that it stays dry. Plus, it can also resist foul odor and is guaranteed to never slip. Meanwhile, it has true graduated compression rating of 20 – 30 mmHg. Lastly, if you are not satisfied with how the socks perform, you can have it returned and you will be issued an unconditional refund.
Sockwell Women’s Chevron Graduated Compression Socks
These compression socks are made of 32% merino wool, 32% stretch nylon, 31% bamboo rayon, and 5% spandex. These materials are excellent when it comes to odor control, thermal regulation, and moisture management. Meanwhile, it has a moderate compression rating of 15 to 20 mmHg. It will eliminate the swelling of the feet, reduce fatigue, and prevent varicose veins, among other important concerns of pregnant women. With the use of these socks, you will enjoy 4-zone compression in key areas from the ankle all the way to the legs.
SB Sox Lite Compression Socks
For improved blood circulation during pregnancy, these compression socks will work like magic. It has a compression rating of 15 to 20 mmHg, which is classified as moderate. It has durable construction and can offer superior comfort throughout the day, which can be attributed to the fact that it is made using lightweight and breathable materials. It also has cushioned support for the toe and heel, which will be great when it comes to providing pressure relief. If you purchase these socks, you will also enjoy free access to an e-book with tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle.
HLTPRO Compression Socks
Compression socks do not have to be boring. Available in a variety of quirky and colorful designs, this will help you to have a positive and vibrant aura despite the changes that you are experiencing during pregnancy. It has a compression rating of 20 to 30 mmHg. The socks also have two stabilization zones. With this, you can be confident that it will be able to provide a snug fit and that it will stay in its place even if you move. It is made of poly-nylon fabric, which is not only soft and breathable but also excellent in terms of moisture management.
FuelMeFoot Copper Compression Socks for Men and Women
With a compression rating of 15 to 20 mmHg, this is another option worth considering in your search for the best compression socks. It can help promote blood flow and circulation through its intelligent design that does not compromise your comfort. It has copper embedded fibers, which are great not only for durability but also in terms of odor management, making sure that your feet will smell fresh. If you are unhappy with the product, the good news is that you can return it to the manufacturer and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Blue Maple Compression Socks
One pack already contains seven pairs, which makes it offer the best bang for the buck. The socks are made of 85% nylon, 10% polyester, and 5% elastane. As it is made mostly of nylon, you can expect its excellent breathability and ability to absorb moisture. The fabric is also quick-drying. Meanwhile, it has a compression rating of 15 to 20 mmHg. Lastly, with the 100% money-back guarantee that is being offered by the manufacturer, there is no need to have second thoughts in having it chosen over others.
Compression Socks and Pregnancy
It is undeniable that there is a positive link between compression socks and pregnancy. Most of you would know that athletes use compression socks to improve their performance. Nonetheless, not a lot of people are aware of the fact that compression socks will also be great for pregnant women.
For most pregnant women, swelling is one of the problems that will most likely be experienced. This is because of the fluid retention in the body, causing some parts to expand, including the feet and the legs. This swelling can be problematic as it can lead to a condition that is known as deep vein thrombosis. To be able to reduce swelling and blood flow, you will benefit from wearing compression socks.
With their ability to improve blood circulation, compression socks will also be effective in dealing with varicose veins and spider veins. Plus, you will feel more comfortable throughout the day because of the compression technology the socks can provide. Muscle stress can be significantly reduced. These socks are also breathable and can wick away moisture, providing an assurance of your highest level of comfort.
Looking for the Best Compression Socks
When searching for pregnancy compression socks, below are some of the most important things to consider:
- Compression Grading: Before anything else, you need to know how much compression is needed. For moderate compression, choose socks with 15 to 20 mmHg. This means that it exerts pressure amounting to 20 millimeters of mercury on the ankles and it decreases to 15 millimeters as it goes up. This will be more than enough for most pregnant women. However, if you feel that it is not working, you might want to try those with 20 to 30 mmHg.
- Size: Just like shoes, you also need to find socks that are right for your size. If they are too tight, you will end up being uncomfortable as it will constrict the feet and the legs. On the other hand, if it is too loose, it will keep on falling off.
- Length: Generally speaking, there are three lengths of compression socks that are available: knee-high, thigh-high, and full-length. For most, thigh-high stockings will be enough. Nonetheless, for better ability to reduce risks of deep vein thrombosis and varicose veins, full-length stockings are recommended.
- Material: In the case of most compression socks, nylon is the material that is often used. They are usually combined with a secondary material, which can be spandex or elastane, among others.
- Comfort: There are different factors that will have an impact on the comfort of the compression socks that you are wearing. For instance, they should be made of lightweight and breathable materials. They should also have the ability to wick moisture away.
- Money-back Guarantee: Most of the socks that have been mentioned in this post come with a money-back guarantee. Meaning, within the specified period, if you are unhappy with the product, you can get a refund, and hence, there is no risk in buying.
Tips and Tricks to Manage Pregnancy Swelling
While wearing compression socks will be effective in addressing swelling during pregnancy, it is not the only thing that you can do. Here are some tips that will be equally effective in managing swelling:
- Avoid standing and sitting for an extended period. If you are required to do so because of your work, take a break from time to time. Stretching will help. This will improve circulation and will relieve muscle pressure.
- You also need to have a regular exercise routine. This will help to improve blood circulation and the excess fluid will not pool on the legs or feet.
- It will also be good to use a cold compress on the feet, ankle, and legs, which will help to reduce the swelling.
- Swimming in a pool may seem bizarre, but it is actually an effective solution. Water immersion will help the body to get rid of excess fluids. Plus, it is also a great exercise to keep you in good shape during your pregnancy.
- Hydration is a simple solution that can also work for swelling. While swelling is caused by retention of excess fluid, drinking water will actually help. It will help to flush water out of the body, and hence, decrease fluid retention.
- A healthy and balanced diet will also help to address swelling during pregnancy. You need to have at least five portions off fresh fruits and vegetables daily. You also need a small amount of protein. Foods that are high in fats, sugar, and salt should be avoided.
In sum, compression socks should be one of the pregnancy essentials to have! They will help improve blood circulation and provide relief from fatigue. If you are afraid of having varicose veins, compression socks will work like magic. Keep an eye on the ten products that have been mentioned above to be sure that your money won’t go to waste!