- Is It Safe to Use Coconut Oil During Pregnancy?
- What are the Different Types of Coconut Oil?
- What are the Benefits of Coconut Oil for Pregnancy?
- How to Use Coconut Oil During Pregnancy
- How Does Coconut Oil Affect Breastmilk?
- Best Coconut Oil to Use for Pregnant Women
- Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Maple Holistics 100% Pure Coconut Oil
- Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil
- Nature’s Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Coco & Co Coconut Oil
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
- Sky Organics Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- SheaMoisture Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Healthworks Coconut Oil
Known as the tree of life, there is no doubt that coconut can be useful in more ways than one, even when it comes to pregnancy. As it will be discussed in this post, coconut oil can bring a wealth of benefits to pregnant women, from easing birth to the prevention of stretch marks.
In the rest of this post, we will identify some of the best coconut oils in the market, which can be used for pregnancy. There is no need for the coconut oil to be labeled as exclusive for pregnancy use. As long as it is a trusted brand and made from high-quality coconuts, it can be an excellent choice!
Is It Safe to Use Coconut Oil During Pregnancy?
This is probably one of the common questions most people have in mind. After all, you should think not only of your health, but also of the health of the baby inside your tummy.
Yes, it is safe to use coconut oil during your pregnancy. However, it is important to note that it is almost 100% saturated fat. It can have negative effects on the body, but when consumed in right amounts, it can actually be healthy. This is because of the medium fatty acid, which is a healthy cholesterol. The key here is to use it in moderation.
What are the Different Types of Coconut Oil?
One important thing to note is that not all coconut oils are the same. They are available in their different types, each with their respective pros and cons. As an expecting mom, you have to be careful about what to choose so as not to sacrifice your health and your baby’s. With this, here are the types of coconut oil that you will find:
- Unrefined Coconut Oil: Pure and virgin coconut oil are a part of this group. They are made of fresh coconut and processed without adding chemicals or preservatives. Between the two types, this is the better choice for pregnant women since it is a purer form and will more likely not cause adverse effects.
- Refined Coconut Oil: This is made from copra or the dried meat of the coconut. The meat has undergone bleaching and treatment, which also means that much of its natural properties have been altered. It went through high heat processing and chemicals have also been added.
What are the Benefits of Coconut Oil for Pregnancy?
Not convinced to use coconut oil during your pregnancy? Here are some of the benefits that can make you realize that it can actually be good for you and your baby:
- Prevents Stretch Marks: For a lot of pregnant women, the appearance of stretch marks is a common concern. It has moisturizing properties that will make it great for the skin. Even for existing stretch marks, it can help.
- Boost Immune System: It is a rich source of lauric acid, similar to breast milk. With this, consuming at least two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil daily will not only improve your immune system, but also that of your baby.
- Soothes Irritation: Itchiness and dryness are two of the common skin problems amongst pregnant women. Using coconut oil can help soothe such. To add, it is also effective in soothing cracked or dried nipples.
- Eases Birth: Vaginal dryness is one problem that you might encounter during pregnancy. Using coconut oil is great because of its soothing effect, allowing you to deliver your baby smoothly.
- Treats Frizzy Hair: For some women, one of the common side effects of pregnancy is having frizzy hair and even dry scalp. This can be prevented with the use of coconut oil, which is a natural moisturizer.
- Treatment of Yeast Infection: During pregnancy, hormonal changes can affect the vagina’s pH level and make it more prone to yeast infection. The good news is that coconut oil is packed with anti-fungal properties, making it a great alternative for natural treatment.
- Relaxation: Anyone who has been pregnant would agree that you will often feel tired, even if you do nothing throughout the day. Another use of coconut oil is for soothing and relaxation.
How to Use Coconut Oil During Pregnancy
There are countless of ways to utilize the benefits of coconut oil during your pregnancy, such as through the following:
- Massage Oil: One of the best ways to use coconut oil is to have it as an alternative to the traditional massage oils. It has a relaxing aroma that you will love.
- Food and Drinks: Whether you are experimenting with a new recipe or thinking of a way to freshen up your favorite beverage, using coconut oil will help.
- Dairy Substitute: A lot of pregnant women can have adverse reactions when consuming dairy during pregnancy. Coconut oil is a great substitute.
- Beauty Product: From dry skin to frizzy hair, pregnancy can have unwanted side effects in your physical appearance, which can be resolved with the use of coconut oil.
- Dietary Supplement: With the nutrients that are present in coconut oil, consuming it in its raw form will be a good way to promote health and well-being.
How Does Coconut Oil Affect Breastmilk?
Using coconut oil is great not only during pregnancy, but also during the lactation period. It has anti-microbial properties. This is going to increase the level of lauric acid that is present, making it great for the health of the baby.
More than being an immune system boost for the baby, using coconut oil is also great to increase the production of breastmilk. The high content of essential fatty acids is basically the reason for this. Be creative in ways to add this to your diet when breastfeeding and you will find it easier to have more breastmilk naturally!
Best Coconut Oil to Use for Pregnant Women
Below are some of the products that are worth considering and the reasons why they are well-loved by many pregnant women.
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
One of the highest-rated coconut oils on the market, freshness is its biggest asset, making it great in terms of potency. It is made using coconuts from the Philippines, which are grown from fertile volcanic soil.
This coconut oil is unrefined, cold-pressed, and pure. There are no chemical additives or artificial ingredients, allowing the fresh smell of coconuts to be preserved. It also does not contain hexane and bleach, which are common in cheap coconut oils.
Maple Holistics 100% Pure Coconut Oil
This product is made of 100% fractionated coconut oil, which is also called liquid coconut oil. To be technical, the long-chain fatty acids are removed from this type of oil. Even at room temperature, the oil will remain liquid. It also has a longer shelf life when compared to extra virgin oil.
For pregnancy, the best way to use this oil is for massage. It is a moisturizing massage oil with a soothing aroma, sure to make you relax. It is also a great way to prevent stretch marks.
Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil
This is another product that is made exclusively with the use of high-quality coconuts from the Philippines. To make it safe for pregnant women, it is organic and unrefined, making it free of chemicals.
You will love the versatility of this coconut oil. Aside from using it to rub your tummy to prevent stretch marks, you can also add it to your food and drinks, among other things.
The manufacturer has also gained a reputation for their social responsibility. They feed children from the local communities where their products are sourced. This means that buying their product will also allow you to help the less fortunate.
Nature’s Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
This coconut oil is also organic and non-GMO. This means that no chemicals or other harsh additives can be found in the product, making it safe for pregnant women and their babies, even if it is used in food or drinks.
Whether the product is in solid or liquid form, it has various uses and quality will not change regardless of its state. It has a delicious taste and a great aroma, making it a great addition to your recipes.
Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Made from raw coconut oil, this product has not been deodorized, bleached, or hydrogenated. It is also dairy-free, gluten-free, USDA Certified Organic, and Certified Vegan. This will make a great choice even for the most discerning would-be moms.
Simply Delicious – this is what the manufacturer claims. With this, this kind of coconut oil is used mostly for cooking and baking, a great way to infuse beneficial oil in your daily food intake.
Coco & Co Coconut Oil
Clean and 100% raw – this is what you can expect from this product. From the products mentioned in this review, this is the one with the smallest container, making it the perfect travel companion because of its compact size.
It is non-greasy and can be quickly absorbed by the skin. It won’t give you a sticky feeling! While it can be used in many ways, the most popular would be as a massage oil and as an aid of prevention for stretch marks.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a free replacement or refund if in case you are unhappy in any way with this coconut oil.
Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
With the neutral flavor and aroma of this product, this is another oil that is good for being added to the food and drinks of pregnant women to maximize its benefits. It will also be a good supplement to boost the immune system during pregnancy.
This oil contains 62% medium chain triglycerides and 50% lauric acid, making it possible to take full advantage of the health benefits that can be yielded from organic coconuts.
Sky Organics Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
This is another versatile coconut oil that can be used during pregnancy. It is safe for human consumption, so you can use it when cooking or making beverages. It can also be taken as a supplement for better health for both moms-to-be and their babies.
For your peace of mind, it will also be good to know that this coconut oil is USDA Organic and Kosher-certified.
SheaMoisture Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
This coconut oil can provide instant hydration. If your skin is suffering from dullness or dryness as a result of pregnancy, this will help and can provide a moisturizing effect.
The manufacturer is from Sierra Leone and has been in the business since 1912. It has been managed by generations, and the fact that it is still alive up to this day shows that this is indeed one product that you can trust.
Healthworks Coconut Oil
This will make a great base for cooking and baking. It is also great for topical applications, such as a massage oil not only to soothe your belly, but to also prevent the appearance of stretch marks.
The satisfaction guarantee offered by the manufacturer will give you one good reason to choose this product. You will have 30 days to try the oil without any risks. Within such period, if you are unhappy, it will be replaced or an unconditional refund will be issued.
Without a doubt, coconut oil will work like magic for pregnancy. It is going to help boost your immune system and prevent stretch marks, among other things. With this, consider the products mentioned above for a healthier and more beautiful you!