Pregnancy is a time of mixed emotions and physical sensations. Your body undergoes a dramatic change that puts a strain on your body. This is why all women should consider investing in a belly band for pregnancy to make these moments easier.
- What is a Belly Band?
- Benefits of Wearing a Belly Band
- Important things to know about wearing support bands:
- What to Look for When Choosing a Belly Band
- The 10 Best Belly Bands for Pregnant Women
- AZMED Maternity Belly Band for Pregnancy, Breathable Pelvic Back Support Belt
- Maternity Belt by Babo Care, Belly Band for Pregnancy – Back and Pelvic Support
- 2 Pack Women’s Maternity Belly Band Seamless Every Support by Bentibo
- Ingrid & Isabel Women’s Maternity Everyday BellaBand
- Belevation Women’s Maternity Support Belly Band
- JILL & JOEY Maternity Belt for Back and Belly Support to Soothe Pregnancy and Pelvic Pain
- Plus Size Maternity Belt with 2 Baby Bibs by HealthySam
- Maternity Belt Pregnancy Support Band – Beige Color by NEOTech Care
- Maternity Fit, Bamboo Belly Band with Waist Extenders for All Stages of Pregnancy from M Like Mama
- Best Maternity Belt – Breathable Belly Band for Pregnancy, Cotton Lining, Secure Fastener from Donna Elite
What is a Belly Band?
Also called a maternity band, belly bands are mainly used as support garments that add gentle pressure on your belly. This pressure helps in reducing pain and aches, especially as your baby bump grows bigger. Furthermore, women use these bands to keep their unbuttoned or unzipped pants from falling. Who says you should be rid of your favorite pair of jeans completely during pregnancy?
Belly bands are also a must-have if you’d like to work out, engage in outdoor sports, or are constantly on your feet. Because the weight gain can come so suddenly, your body will sometimes react by causing swelling in your extremities. Some muscles will also start to weaken. Using a belly band helps you cope with these changes, allowing you to have more comfort during pregnancy.
Benefits of Wearing a Belly Band
The function of a belly band is to support problem areas such as the lower back and abdomen. This is especially important during the second and third trimesters when your baby bump starts gaining more weight.
But to gain a deeper understanding of just how much belly bands can help expectant moms out, we also need to know their many benefits:
Decrease physical pain
Even pregnant women need to stay active for themselves and the baby. But that’s difficult to do when you’re constantly suffering from aches and pains in different areas of your body. Using a belly band helps to decrease the discomfort and aching so you can participate in more activities. The more active you are, the easier time you’re likely to have delivering the baby, too.
Provide gentle compression
If you’ve ever tried going for a run without wearing a sports bra, then you have an idea what exercising without a belly band should feel. The compression created from wearing a maternity band provides more comfort by supporting the uterus area during physical activities.
Note: Too much compression also isn’t good as it impairs circulation. This can have a negative effect on your circulation and can even contribute to indigestion and heartburn.
Help to facilitate proper posture
Pregnancy belts encourage proper posture by adding support to the lower back and torso. This prevents overextension, which is common in pregnant women due to the extra weight in front of the body. Part of the reason is also because of the weakened core muscles supporting the spine.
Can be used pre to post-pregnancy
The challenge doesn’t stop once the baby’s out. Taking care of a newborn day in and day out is very demanding, and you still have to recover from the strain of delivering your little one. For many women, wearing the belly band postpartum helps deal with the discomfort by supporting the abdomen and lower back area.
Important things to know about wearing support bands:
- Don’t wear belly bands or other support garments for more than three hours at a time to keep your body from being overdependent.
- You’ll enjoy more benefits from doing exercises targeting your abdomen while using your headband to strengthen your core.
- It’s best to talk to your doctor first before using support bands, especially if you suffer from compromised blood circulation or abnormal blood pressure.
- Belly bands for pregnancy should never be thought of as a permanent fix. Consider talking to a physical therapist if pain still persists during and after birth.
What to Look for When Choosing a Belly Band
When choosing the perfect belly band for pregnancy, there are certain traits to look for. And they are the following:
Make sure to choose a belly band made from smooth materials. It should be comfortable enough to wear on your bare belly or while sleeping.
Maternity bands are supposed to reduce discomfort by supporting your belly better. This is why it’s important to choose one that’s known for providing great support. You can do this by checking the user reviews.
There’s a big chance you’ll be wearing your band daily, so make sure it’s made from quality materials that makes it retain its shape and elasticity even after repeated use.
You need a belly band that adapts to your changing body. Even after giving birth, you’ll still need to use your belly band to help you reduce discomfort in your abdomen. This is why it’s important to choose one that will accommodate your growing or shrinking waistline.
The 10 Best Belly Bands for Pregnant Women
They’re called many names: pregnancy bands, support bands, maternity bands, etc. And they’re a must-have pregnancy garment that can help you get through your second or third trimester easier. In fact, they’re also great to wear postpartum!
But instead of just choosing a random band, why not pick from the very best in the market? Check out the top ten belly bands for pregnancy that are sure to give you the best band for your buck:
AZMED Maternity Belly Band for Pregnancy, Breathable Pelvic Back Support Belt
- Relieves hip and pelvic pain common during pregnancy
- Helps you deal with excess pregnancy weight and prevent back straining
- Helps to correct poor posture
This belly band from AZMED really does wonders in lifting up your belly and making it feel well-supported. For active mothers who still need to go to work, you are sure to love how this product just relieves most of the discomfort from pregnancy aches. In fact, some women even find it the perfect support garment for light running.
Maternity Belt by Babo Care, Belly Band for Pregnancy – Back and Pelvic Support
- Built for maximum durability that adjusts to your body
- Designed for daily use with its comfortable material
- Comes with a 100% Money Back Lifetime Guarantee in case you’re not satisfied with the product
Babo Care takes an extra step to provide expectant mothers the very best experience with their lifetime guarantee. But you’re never going to need it, however, because this belly band for pregnancy is one of the best you can find. It’s made from felt-like material so it’s very comfortable, and it’s also breathable so sweat doesn’t get trapped in easily.
2 Pack Women’s Maternity Belly Band Seamless Every Support by Bentibo
- Made from 53% Polyester, 30% Cotton, and 17% Spandex
- Reduces spinal pressure and relieves pain-related stress
- Features a wider underband that’s perfect for layering with everyday clothes
- Keeps your belly warm and insulated
If you’re looking for a great deal on quality pregnancy bands, then this is perfect for you. The fabric is made from quality materials that also result in a very comfortable feel to your skin. It’s soft, stretches well, and comes with adhesive sides to keep it from riding up when you’re busy with everyday errands and chores.
Ingrid & Isabel Women’s Maternity Everyday BellaBand
- Made from 84% Nylon and 16% Cotton
- Includes a stay-put silicone strip that prevents your garments from slipping off.
- Can be worn full-length or folded over for additional hold
The BellaBand is a lifesaver for pregnant women who have trouble keeping their pants from falling down. It’s created for maximum comfort and adds the right amount of support so your baby bump is held higher, thereby relieving some of the pressure around your back and hips. Also, it has a good stretch to it so you won’t have to worry about outgrowing the band.
Belevation Women’s Maternity Support Belly Band
- Made from 90% Nylon and 10% Spandex
- Seamless and breathable mesh for comfort
- Great for layering pregnancy clothing
If you’re looking for a belly band that’s comfortable and durable enough for everyday use, you are sure to fall in love with this band from Belevation. It’s great for making your belly feel nice and secure so you can go about your day pain- and worry-free. And the best part is that it doesn’t cost a lot! We highly recommend getting one if you’re after quality and affordability.
JILL & JOEY Maternity Belt for Back and Belly Support to Soothe Pregnancy and Pelvic Pain
- Provides proper belly support that can help reduce pregnancy-related edema
- Adjustable size can stretch up to 45 inches wide
- Helps to correct posture through its gentle compression
One common problem with belly bands and other support garments is that they tend to feel hot after some time. This is the case if the material doesn’t breathe too well, trapping in a lot of moisture and eventually causing skin irritations. This belly band for pregnancy from Jill & Joey, however, is super breathable and gives you ample support to reduce pain and other body ailments.
Plus Size Maternity Belt with 2 Baby Bibs by HealthySam
- Stretches well and fits up to 54 inches
- Provides gentle support around your abdominal area
- Breathable material that’s comfortable to wear even on active days
- Can be worn as early as 12 weeks into your pregnancy
If you’re a big fan of long walks, leisurely strolls, or even light jogging, then this Plus Size belly band for pregnancy may just be what you need. Take note however that this product is specially made for plus-size women, so you may be dealing with a loose band if you’re somewhat petite. It’s a great purchase also because you get two free bibs!
Maternity Belt Pregnancy Support Band – Beige Color by NEOTech Care
- Fully adjustable design to accommodate your growing baby bump
- Includes reinforced Velcro for added support and comfort
- Breathable fabric includes multi-layered laminate with elastic lining
NEOTech Care doesn’t hold back from giving you the best of the best belly bands to help you get through your pregnancy happier and pain-free. The design of this product uniquely targets problem areas common in pregnant women, minimizing most of the strain placed on your spinal column. It also includes an abdominal pad and two-sided Velcro – everything you need to achieve the desired support.
Maternity Fit, Bamboo Belly Band with Waist Extenders for All Stages of Pregnancy from M Like Mama
- Bamboo belly band provides ample support for growing belly
- Packet consists of 3-4 items, including waist extenders.
- Effectively relieves lower back pain by gently lifting your belly
- Includes a 6-month warranty
For moms who are looking for a more natural alternative to most commercial belly bands, M Like Mama has the product for you. This band is made from bamboo fiber, so it comes with plenty of benefits: it’s breathable, absorbent, anti-bacterial, and reduces the chance of skin irritations. It may be the best purchase you could possibly make during your pregnancy!
Best Maternity Belt – Breathable Belly Band for Pregnancy, Cotton Lining, Secure Fastener from Donna Elite
- Provides great support and comfort for changing body and growing belly
- Can be worn during prenatal and postpartum stages
- Elastic straps can stretch up to 52 inches wide
- Material is seamless and made from hypoallergenic materials
This product gets nothing but raving reviews from moms because of its pain-relieving design and unbelievable comfort. In fact, it has a pillow-like hug on your baby bump while providing support, so you can enjoy your day with minimal pain or strain. It’s a must-have if you’re looking for a belly band to wear to work or for walking and jogging.
Getting a belly band for pregnancy is one of the best investments you could make. It can make a world of difference in making your experience that much more enjoyable. Remember, if mom is happy then the baby is happy too. So, don’t think twice about getting one if you’d like to say goodbye to most of your pregnancy aches. And after you’ve given birth and finally meet your little one, you can still use your belly band to recover and get back in tip top shape!