- Our Top Picks for Pregnancy Belly Creams
- Why Should You Use Belly Cream During Pregnancy
- When Should You Start Using a Belly Cream
- What Ingredients to Look for in a Belly Cream
- What to Avoid
- How to Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
Our Top Picks for Pregnancy Belly Creams
In this section, we will briefly go through some of the top choices that you might want to take into consideration.
Burt’s Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter
This belly butter is quick absorbent and smooth on the skin. Unlike others, it is not heavy and greasy, and hence, there is no discomfort that is associated with its use.
This product is also 99% natural, which does not only make it effective, but also safe. It does not contain parabens and phthalates, among other ingredients that can be harsh on the skin.
It is also a good thing that it is unscented, which means that it will not irritate the nose and will not trigger allergies.
Mustela Stretch Mark Prevention Cream
In one clinical trial conducted to test the effectiveness of this belly cream for pregnancy, one of the findings show that 96% of the women who used it during pregnancy have not developed stretch marks.
While it has quite a long list of ingredients, the most notable is perhaps the avocado peptide. It is a patented ingredient that makes the skin elastic and supple. It also contains shea butter and beeswax, which are known for their moisturizing effects. There is also a patented ingredient extracted from larch tree, which aids in the prevention of stretch marks.
Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Tummy Butter
Cocoa and shea butter are two of the main ingredients that are used in this product. They provide the hydration and softness that your tummy needs to counteract the effects of pregnancy, such as the appearance of stretch marks. It also has argan oil and almond oil, which contain beneficial fatty acids.
There is no need to be worried about the possible side effects since this is formulated to be hypoallergenic, making it safe for all.
Based on an 8-week home trial conducted by the company, 98% of its users saw significant improvement when using this cream.
Mama Mio The Tummy Rub Butter
To provide you with peace of mind, this product does not contain harsh ingredients, such as colorants, petrolatum, and parabens. Instead, its main ingredients are essential oils extracted from argan, sweet almond, avocado, and rosehip.
In a nutshell, the ingredients are packed with omega-vitamins that will prevent the skin from showing stretch marks despite the fact that it is stretched for nine months of pregnancy!
Basq Intensive Treatment Stretch Mark Butter
This award-winning cream takes pride in having biopeptides, which are basically the ones that help in the restoration of the elasticity of the skin after giving birth.
It also contains darutoside, which is a combination of plant extracts that are beneficial for the renewal of collagen and the visible reduction of stretch marks.
Lastly, it also contains Algisium-C, which is a brown algae extract. The latter has a rich amount of silica, which will be effective in making the stretch marks smoother.
Earth Mama Belly Butter
The effectiveness of this belly cream can be attributed to its impressive list of ingredients, which include essential oils and organic herbs that will be effective in improving the elasticity of the skin.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a light and natural scent, which will not irritate the skin. Unlike other creams and lotions, it is also not heavy and greasy.
Botanic Tree Anti-Stretch Mark Cream
One thing that can convince you to choose this pregnancy cream is the fact that it is made with the use of 100% organic extracts that will work for all skin types.
If you are unhappy with the use of the product, your money will not be wasted. You just have to contact the manufacturer and you will enjoy an unconditional refund. You have up to two months to try the product and see the results!
Best Nest Mama Body Butter
This hydrating body cream contains organic oils that will make you feel like you have just finished a luxurious spa treatment after every application. It does not only make skin soft, but also helps improve comfort during your pregnancy.
It is also worth noting that this is 100% organic. It is free of artificial fragrances and preservatives. It also does not contain alcohol.
The sweet orange scent is also well-loved by many of its users. It is soothing and relaxing.
Mambino Organics Belly Butter
With the healing botanicals that are found in this product, you can be confident that it will be effective in the removal and prevention of stretch marks. It is also USDA-certified organic, providing you with peace of mind regarding its safety.
Still looking for reasons to have it chosen above others? It is good to know that it has been recognized by Disney Family Editors as one of the Top Ten Pregnancy Essentials.
Pregnancy brings joy to any mom, knowing that she is soon giving birth to another gift to the world. However, for a lot of women, it is also a dreaded phase of their life. Many are worried that they will gain a lot of weight. Another common concern would be the appearance of stretch marks.
Fortunately, there is a way to prevent stretch marks! No, this does not involve expensive treatments. Rather, you will just need to use a pregnancy belly cream. Clueless on which one to buy? Keep on reading the rest of this post and learn more about some of the products I will be suggesting below.
Why Should You Use Belly Cream During Pregnancy
Stretch mark – this is the reason why using belly cream is a must for women who are pregnant. It affects 8 out of 10 women, which is why it is a serious concern. Your skin elasticity and its type are some of the things that will affect the possibility of having stretch marks.
When your baby grows inside your tummy, your skin will also stretch. This is where stretch marks begin to form. They can fade after giving birth, but they won’t completely disappear. With this, the best thing that you can do is to prevent them in the first place, and this is where the importance of using a belly cream enters the picture.
Stretch marks can be dark or light depending on your skin tone. If you have a light-colored skin, the stretch marks will be darker, usually pinkish or reddish. On the other hand, if you have dark skin, the stretch marks will be lighter. Again, this unevenness can be prevented if you use the right belly cream.
When Should You Start Using a Belly Cream
Earlier is always better. This, however, does not mean that you should rub a cream on your belly from the moment you heard about your pregnancy. During the first three months, you can do without it! On the fourth month, however, this is when you should start using a belly cream. This is the time that your belly starts to expand, and hence, prevention is necessary to combat stretch marks.
What Ingredients to Look for in a Belly Cream
While there are many options for a belly cream, this does not mean that they can all be effective in the prevention of stretch marks during pregnancy. To differentiate the alternatives, here are some of the ingredients that you should be looking for:
- Shea Butter: A common ingredient in skincare products, it contains a concentration of fatty acids and natural vitamins, which will moisturize and nourish the skin.
- Aloe Vera: The gel of the aloe plant can provide natural healing properties. It has vitamins, amino acids, and minerals, making it great for your belly.
- Cocoa Butter: This is an ingredient that comes from cocoa beans and vegetable fat, which is believed to be great in making the skin softer and heal faster.
- Jojoba Oil: It can be effective in the restoration of the elasticity of the skin, which is why it also makes an effective ingredient for dealing with stretch marks.
- Calendula Oil: Although not popular as other ingredients, it holds a lot of promise. It helps to promote the renewal of cell and makes stretch marks less visible.
- Coconut Oil: This is rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin E, and essential fatty acids, which is also why it is good for the belly during your pregnancy.
- Rosehip Oil: With the fatty acids in this oil, it will be able to effectively renew the inner layer of the skin.
- Almond Oil: It is an oil that is packed with regenerative properties. It also has Vitamin E and is known as an anti-inflammatory.
- Grapeseed Oil: With antioxidants and vitamins, it nourishes and repairs the skin, especially after being stretched during pregnancy.
What to Avoid
Stay away from products that contain artificial ingredients and harsh chemicals. Synthetic fragrances, phthalates, petroleum products, and parabens should be avoided. Generally, avoid those that can cause skin irritation and allergies.
Take the time to read the label before using a belly cream. If it is unfamiliar or if you do not trust it, do your research. Better to be safe than sorry!
How to Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
While using a belly cream during pregnancy is one of the easiest ways to prevent stretch marks, there are other things that you can also do, which include the following:
- Change your diet and eat foods that will nourish the skin. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Your skin will also benefit from walnuts, oysters, and eggs. You have to switch to a diet that is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A, and Omega 3.
- It will also be good if you stay hydrated. As we all know, drinking lots of water is one of the best ways to keep your skin looking good, even your belly. According to the Institute of Medicine, women should drink a minimum of 72 ounces of water daily.
- Exercising during pregnancy does not only improve your health, but it is also effective in the prevention of stretch marks. It is good in terms of keeping the elasticity of the skin even when it is stretched during your pregnancy.
- There are also natural remedies that can prove to be effective in the prevention of stretch marks. For instance, massaging the tummy with coconut oil or aloe vera gel will be great, which are also common ingredients in belly creams used by pregnant women.
Afraid of stretch marks? Do you want your skin to be soft and supple even after pregnancy? This is possible with the use of the pregnancy belly creams mentioned above. Take your pick from the products that we have briefly reviewed in this post.